I would change BOTH filters - bleed for 30 seconds and see what happens next

Xizervexius

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 23, 2021
Powell River, BC, Canada
Have you checked air filter?

I would change BOTH filters - bleed for 30 seconds and see what happens next
I didnt check the air filter, but good idea. I did check to see if it was the fuel cap not venting properly; just took it off while it was surging, didn't make a difference. I'll be changing both filters, and probably order a relocation kit with a separator as well, stock location for that first filter is just stupid.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
stock location for that first filter is just stupid.
you said a mouthful that AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL BX owners agree with!!!!

remote filter is nice and easy btw
2020-10-19 17.57.54.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Xizervexius

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 23, 2021
Powell River, BC, Canada
Fixed! Changed out the filters (after much cussing and swearing!) but it was still doing it, even worse now. Cleaned out Air filter, still doing it. Dumped in some tank/water cleaner, and after a few starts and stalls it was purring like a little orange kitten again.
I did order a filter relocation kit, as I never want to do that again (although I guess I'll have to it one more time...) from Mike at https://bxtractorparts.com/shop/ols/products/bx-fuel-filter-relocation. Really nice guy to deal with.
I had ordered some OEM filters on Amazon (no dealer near me) which were stupid expensive at about $40 CDN each. Local parts store had a Baldwin equivalent for $4....

Xizervexius

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 23, 2021
Powell River, BC, Canada
And fixed..again! Seems I may have had 2 issues; the aforementioned water (which is still a maybe) and a plugged line out of the fuel tank.
Tractor had been working great after replacing filters, and running some tank clean stuff in it, then started surging horribly again today. Disconnected the fuel line from where the OEM primary filter would be (I've since relocated mine to a much more user friendly location) and no fuel came out, not a drop.
Blew some air into the line back towards the tank and it then came spewing out (and all over me of course).
So some crud/bug/debris whatever in the tank obviously. I'll live with it for now as I do not really want to take half the tractor apart to remove the damn fuel tank, as apparently there is no other drain option.
The relocation kit I did buy came with a stainless strainer for the fuel filler, something that should be an OEM supply!

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
That was the very first thing i did to my BX23s when i bought it. I bought Mike`s fuel filter kit, have had zero problems since brand new in 2017. I change my fuel filters once a year, just before winter.

JasonVJ1976

Equipment
BX23S
Aug 25, 2024
Pine, La.
Hello everyone. Started having some surging/idling issues on relatively new BX23S (93 .2 hours). I'm assuming it's a fuel filter issue and have some on order.
It starts losing rpm and damn near stalling, with no load. Only seems to happen once it warms up. Same fuel (from Shell) I run in my Land Cruiser.
Video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CFobadS4VWEtP46v8
Same thing mine is doing. have changed fuel filters and put in new fuel. will have to try some clean out stuff and make sure lines aren't clogged or partially clogged.