BX23S backhoe problem??!!

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
Ok so long story short. Yesterday took the backhoe off the tractor like normal. Hooked up three point hitch and flail mower. Mowed trails, edge of driveway etc for about two hours. Everything normal.
Take flail mower off, three point off and go to hook the backhoe back up. I could not for the life of me get the hydraulic lines hooked back up. Turned tractor off and released pressure with front loader like always. Still could not hook them up. The recirculate line went on and off no problem several times.
Decided to go see my neighbor who is wiser than me with tractors. Hung out with him and his wife and came back to the tractor. Lines hooked up no problem at all.
SOOOOOO the question is why?? Hydraulic pump and lines too hot?? Never had it happen to me before. 105 hours on it.

Thanks as always .
Gibby

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have experienced the same problem and found that if I hook the line that is permanently installed on the tractor to the backhoe first, the others will go on more easily. My old arthritic hands are having a lot of problems hooking up hoses, but by doing it in this order, it seems that it goes a lot easier. I believe that it is residual pressure in the lines that is causing it. Once the tractor cools down, the expansion of the oil is reduced, and it goes together a lot easier.
I try to schedule my 3-point hitch use to maximum use when it is on because it is a nuisance to take it off and reinstall it. I found that the 3-point hitch on my old BX22 was a lot easier to install because the pins were permanently installed on the tractor and all I had to do was slide the arms onto the pins and then put the spacer that holds the turnbuckles onto the pins. Not all upgrades work as well as what they replace.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
That will happen if you park hydraulic attachments outside in the sunshine. Relieving the pressure in one of the lines or trying again early in the morning when it's cooler out might help.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
That will happen if you park hydraulic attachments outside in the sunshine. Relieving the pressure in one of the lines or trying again early in the morning when it's cooler out might help.
What he said! Also, when removing loaders and backhoes you want to turn off the engine and relieve any latent pressure in the hydraulic circuits of the attachment by working all of the controls before disconnecting the lines. If you park the attachment so there is weight bearing on any of the hydraulic cylinders while parked, it can pressurize the connectors enough to make reconnecting difficult.

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
Thanks for the advise/help. It was a mild day maybe 70 there in PA. And the backhoe was in the shade. I thought the tractor might have been too hot, and I have probably done it the same way 8-10 times. Weird.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have experienced the same problem and found that if I hook the line that is permanently installed on the tractor to the backhoe first, the others will go on more easily. My old arthritic hands are having a lot of problems hooking up hoses, but by doing it in this order, it seems that it goes a lot easier. I believe that it is residual pressure in the lines that is causing it. Once the tractor cools down, the expansion of the oil is reduced, and it goes together a lot easier.
I try to schedule my 3-point hitch use to maximum use when it is on because it is a nuisance to take it off and reinstall it. I found that the 3-point hitch on my old BX22 was a lot easier to install because the pins were permanently installed on the tractor and all I had to do was slide the arms onto the pins and then put the spacer that holds the turnbuckles onto the pins. Not all upgrades work as well as what they replace.
The simple answer is: You need a dedicated 3pt hitch tractor, in addition to your BX22! :)

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The simple answer is: You need a dedicated 3pt hitch tractor, in addition to your BX22! :)
I sold my BX22 about 3 years ago. I wish that I hadn't!. In many ways I like it much more than the replacement BX23S.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I sold my BX22 about 3 years ago. I wish that I hadn't!. In many ways I like it much more than the replacement BX23S.
So.........just buy another BX22!:)
Having two (or more) tractors is a GOOD thing!
If indoor storage is an issue, I can store it for you,..... with no fee!
You may visit at your convenience,.:cry:

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
heck, I'm impressed you removed the BH ! After 6 years, 1300hrs, I've yet to get it off. seems neighbours always have a job or 2 or 3, for me.....
came close to buying a 2nd BX23S last week, then wondered where I'd park it....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
heck, I'm impressed you removed the BH ! After 6 years, 1300hrs, I've yet to get it off. seems neighbours always have a job or 2 or 3, for me.....
came close to buying a 2nd BX23S last week, then wondered where I'd park it....
Same offer!
Park it inside,... at my place!
You will need a passport to cross the border.