BX2380 Won't Start

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
So there I was... Had been running great for 3-4 hours today moving firewood around and then clearing branches with the pallet forks. I went to put another load of branches on the forks. Pulled up to the pile, throttle set to idle, brake set, no PTO anything, turned it off and got off. Loaded up the forks. Got back on, turned the key and I saw a small arc flash in the dash cluster, then nothing. Now if I try the ignition there are no lights on the dash, no fuel pump clicks, and no start.

Checked all the fuses with a meter and they are all fine. Checked every connector and harness I can see. Nothing.

Any ideas??

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
First thing I check is the PTO lever. I hit it 100 times/year getting off and the tractor won't start.

Only takes 1/4"......

It's something simple.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you saw sparking around the dash and no fuse is blown in the fuse box, it is possible that the main fuse (40 or 50 amp) is blown. That would block power from the battery to most electrical circuits. Have you checked it?

I imagine there is something significantly wrong with the dash panel and there is a dead short there in the dash.

I would try to replace the main fuse if it is blown using a breaker instead of a fuse if you can find a replacement breaker. I would assume that it will trip (blow) immediately is why I recommend the breaker.

Then remove the dash panel out of the electrical circuit by unplugging it and then see what happens if you reset the breaker (replace the fuse). Does it trip or stay on? If it trips then the dash may not be the problem. If it stays on you can try to start it and get it to where you want to work on it (garage?)

Good luck

Reactions: 1 users

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
Thanks for all the feedback.

Battery is connected properly and there is no PTO engagement. I cycled the PTO lever several times to be sure nothing wonky with that.

I did check the 50A main fuse and it is fine. I agree with Russel King that it may be something wrong with the dash panel due to the brief arcing seen right before the failure. Also curious if the failure could be the ignition assembly itself. Arcing from that assembly would likely be visible through the dash cluster.

Still under warranty so I may call the dealership to see what they can do. Only question is how to get it there... Won't be fun to tow it out from where it is and winch it into a trailer.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My apologies I honestly missed the “arc flash” in the dash.

Gonna have to dig a little more on that one.

It’s not a displaced safety switch if I were to guess.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
dash cluster aka 'meter' has a 5 amp fuse, so main50 amp slow blow should not have blown....
turn key on to 'preheat'. does the glow plug light come on ? if not 50a fuse is gone.
big question is WHY ?