BX2380 Draining and Replacing Coolant

JesseM

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 17, 2023
Ontario, NY
I have a BX2380 and I'm planning to drain and replace the coolant for the first time. I was looking through the manual as well as trying to find videos online and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do, however, on a BX2380 is there a bleeder valve anywhere to bleed the air out once I start filling it with coolant?

Also, any recommendations on what to use to get a 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze? Large measuring cups or pitchers for example?

Any other things I should keep in mind while draining and refilling?

Thanks in advance!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have a BX2380 and I'm planning to drain and replace the coolant for the first time. I was looking through the manual as well as trying to find videos online and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do, however, on a BX2380 is there a bleeder valve anywhere to bleed the air out once I start filling it with coolant?

Also, any recommendations on what to use to get a 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze? Large measuring cups or pitchers for example?

Any other things I should keep in mind while draining and refilling?

Thanks in advance!
Just follow the owner's manual. Use a heavy duty diesel 50/50 pre-mix. Saves you the trouble of buying distilled water and measuring.

After you finish, keep a closer eye on the temperature gauge for a few days, and top off the radiator before you start it the next few times.

We have a Ford 3930 that requires an additive. It has dry liners, and I don't understand the cavitation issue. Next time I change it, I'll probably just use the diesel pre-mix, now that it's available. There's a company that sells the additives and test kits to maintain the required levels, if you're so inclined, but I think that's a bit overboard for a small engine.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If he has a cab with a heater he is going to need one of those new suckers that creates a vacuum to fill the coolant and not create an air bubble in the heater core.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I simply get a gallon of distilled water and a gallon of antifreeze and pour them together into a DEF jug. That way I have two gallons of coolant for only a little more than the 50/50 scam.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

JesseM

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 17, 2023
Ontario, NY
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was able to find the Kubota brand 50/50 prediluted coolant mix so will use that.

I have a recovery reservoir on already and no heated cab. (With the NY winters and front mounted snow blower I have I wish I had a heated cab. Lol)

JesseM

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Apr 17, 2023
Ontario, NY
I've encountered another issue. This is the first time I've attempted to take the drain plug off the engine block but apparently Kubota torqued it on so much that I can't break it free without almost stripping the head.

Any suggestions how to get the plug out?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Put some heat from a torch on it and hope for the best. Use good tools like Snap-On or Mac so you don't round off the flats of the drain. Drain plugs usually have left-hand threads to open them, but right-hand threads if you are trying to remove the entire drain plug unit.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Right or wrong, I just drain from the lower radiator hose with radiator cap off.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Save the grief of something breaking, remove a clamp!
That was my theory.

The radiator has a wonky plastic drain too, but I chose not to go there either....

Too many opportunities for failures.

Hose clamp, not so much. (y)