BX23 hydraulic oil change problems

Retiredcpa

Equipment
BX23 w/backhoe
Oct 27, 2022
Virginia
Just blew a hose on my BX23 with 285 hours (I THINK mine was built around 2008). So I decided to go ahead and replace the fluid and filter which was due at 300 hours anyway. Two problems: 1) The picture in my owner's manual shows the drain plug directly under the transmission case - mine is not. Mine is located directly beside the filter (and is hard to get a wrench on since it hits the filter). Bigger problem is I can't fully remove the plug because it hits a bracket in front of the case. Is there some trick to it? Do you have to remove the bracket first OR leave everything in place and drain the fluid via the filter opening? Problem #2: My owner's manual also shows an oil strainer behind the left rear tire that is to be removed and cleaned. I can't find it. Is it located somewhere else or does my BX simply not have a strainer? HELP!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My BX is a little newer than yours. Your description of the "plug" doesn't sound right. It's part 050 here.

Been a while since I did mine, but looks familiar. I'm not near the tractor, so can't check right now. Take it with grain of salt....

I'm wondering is you have the wrong "plug". This is from BX23D. https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Screenshot 2022-10-27 133813.jpg

Similar, here is the screen location. Part 030. Very low on left side of rear case.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 134002.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just blew a hose on my BX23 with 285 hours (I THINK mine was built around 2008). So I decided to go ahead and replace the fluid and filter which was due at 300 hours anyway. Two problems: 1) The picture in my owner's manual shows the drain plug directly under the transmission case - mine is not. Mine is located directly beside the filter (and is hard to get a wrench on since it hits the filter). Bigger problem is I can't fully remove the plug because it hits a bracket in front of the case. Is there some trick to it? Do you have to remove the bracket first OR leave everything in place and drain the fluid via the filter opening? Problem #2: My owner's manual also shows an oil strainer behind the left rear tire that is to be removed and cleaned. I can't find it. Is it located somewhere else or does my BX simply not have a strainer? HELP!
You are trying to remove the wrong plug, the one you are trying to remove may have a spring and a steel ball under it.

Reactions: 1 users

Retiredcpa

Equipment
BX23 w/backhoe
Oct 27, 2022
Virginia
My BX is a little newer than yours. Your description of the "plug" doesn't sound right. It's part 050 here.

Been a while since I did mine, but looks familiar. I'm not near the tractor, so can't check right now. Take it with grain of salt....

I'm wondering is you have the wrong "plug". This is from BX23D. https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

View attachment 89541

Similar, here is the screen location. Part 030. Very low on left side of rear case.

View attachment 89542
You are correct. Once I got completely on my back, I found the drain plug. Thanks.

But I still can't locate the strainer. Could the backhoe brackets be obstructing it from my view??? Would removing the rear wheel help???

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The left rear wheel & tire off. Place a jack stand under the tractor. Look for the nut and remove it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You are correct. Once I got completely on my back, I found the drain plug. Thanks.

But I still can't locate the strainer. Could the backhoe brackets be obstructing it from my view??? Would removing the rear wheel help???
I've pulled mine a few times. It does take a little search to locate it. Right at the bottom of the case, below and aft of the rear axle housing. Look for the hard hydraulic line.

Seems like it's near the rod the lower lift arms for the 3PH mount on.

I don't have a backhoe, so not sure if a bracket is in the way.

Pulling a wheel might help, but a good flashlight might help. I haven't pulled a wheel to clean the screen.

I'll try to get a photo from my BX2360 tonight and forward it along. Will give you a better idea of it's location than my description.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
CPA - forgot to get a picture after work yesterday.

Here is my screen location. Hoping it helps.

My BX has a keeper tab that holds it in. Yours looks threaded without a keeper. A little different, but guessing same location.

A73B7377-0CC4-4F74-9D59-D7FE8D9864EC.jpeg

21AB34EC-90FA-4880-9B6D-4F1F1DD613E8.jpeg

Last edited:

Retiredcpa

Equipment
BX23 w/backhoe
Oct 27, 2022
Virginia

Retiredcpa

Equipment
BX23 w/backhoe
Oct 27, 2022
Virginia
Found my strainer. It was much lower and larger (26mm) than I was looking for. Wish the Kubota line drawings could be a bit more detailed. Thanks everyone for your help. Now back to my digging!

Reactions: 1 user