BX Broken Air Filter Strap Solution?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’m not sure about more recent BX tractors, but my BX2200, and other BX tractors it has been reported, have had similar issues with the air filter housing strap breaking due to vibration.

After a couple unsuccessful attempts at making a mechanical repair to the existing strap design, I ended up bending the ends of the broken strap pieces, in a fashion that enabled me to make a loop of rubber from a bicycle inner tube to pull them together and hopefully stop the vibration/breakage issue. This worked pretty good for two or three years..

Today I noticed the strap broke again, but this time at the other end which made a quick temporary repair pretty difficult, it appeared. I’m not sure if I actually bent down the part of the bracket below the original breakpoint myself , but I guess I did. As such, It provided an excellent point to hook a bungee cord under. So I removed the broken bracket, as it wasn’t doing anything anyway, and now have a bungee cord installed and I think it’s a winning solution

The cord loops under the bent down piece of the bracket, comes up over the top of the housing, and then the two ends hook onto the cord itself at the bracket point.

Here’s a picture. The cord I used measures 31 3/4 inches tip to tip of the hooks before it is stretched. I thought it was going to be too long, but actually it turned out to be perfect.

Just posting this is an option if anybody has the same issue going on. Sure looks like this is a winning solution for me. Of course, at this point, I only tested it for an hour!

Please take note that I chose the proper color for the bungee strap!😂

IMG_2096.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd just order a new K strap, in my experience modern chinesium bungees are next to useless as they tend to stretch and fail to hold tension. Heat will be a problem for them.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
I’ve used long zip ties for similar repairs. Worked well for a battery holder on my AC 916. You may even be able to find orange zip ties if black doesn’t work!

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'd just order a new K strap, in my experience modern chinesium bungees are next to useless as they tend to stretch and fail to hold tension. Heat will be a problem for them.
Time will tell…my optimistic side is winning at the moment. 🙂

edit: Guess I can always fall back to using a bicycle inner tube. The piece originally used did not seem to be bothered by the heat. Was still functioning after years of service.

I will not just replace the strap as I would expect the issue to repeat itself…

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Time will tell…my optimistic side is winning at the moment. 🙂

edit: Guess I can always fall back to using a bicycle inner tube. The piece originally used did not seem to be bothered by the heat. Was still functioning after years of service.

I will not just replace the strap as I would expect the issue to repeat itself…
I vote close to zero longevity, for your use of Chinesium bungee cord straps!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Curious how you and Mikester could determine the nationality of the bungee cord…🙂
I know that it is in short supply these days, but......
Common sense!
Plus, no elastic cord can endure engine heat!

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know that it is in short supply these days, but......
Common sense!
Plus, no elastic cord can endure engine heat!
It is certainly true that most consumer items we buy today are made in China. So your guess has a high probability of being correct!

Doesn’t take much elastic pull to hold the air filter housing in place. But I do also have some good tie wraps. So there is a back up plan in place!

(typed earlier but forgot to click the post reply button…)