Bx 24 Fuel tank removal

Bx24dave

Dec 9, 2013
St. John's, NL
My Bx24 was sputtering and stalling. After replacing fuel filters twice i decided to check the flow coming from the tank. There was only a few drops of fuel draining out. After a blast of compressed air back up the fuel line there is full fuel flow solving my immediate problem as engine works perfectly now. Longer term though i must have junk in the tank (i suspect its from a rusty fuel gauge) so id like to clean it out. Anyone know how to take the tank off?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Bx24dave

Dec 9, 2013
St. John's, NL
Thanks and im going to try and get through the winter and then take the fuel tank off in the spring. Filter looks like a great idea. Im surprised more people haven't reported malfunctioning fuel gauge likely from a rusted out tank gauge.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Thanks and im going to try and get through the winter and then take the fuel tank off in the spring. Filter looks like a great idea. Im surprised more people haven't reported malfunctioning fuel gauge likely from a rusted out tank gauge.
Bx24dave,

I have changed out the sending unit on my BX2350 also. Royal PITA ! ! ! I think most, if not all the BX line has the same problem with rusting fuel gauge sending unit. When I put mine in, I gave it a triple coat of epoxy paint before installing. No problems since then.

As others have said, pack a lunch, a few adult beverages, and most of all BE PATIENT. It is going to take a while. (I took a couple days trying not to rush it and mess up). Best of luck, and let us know how YOURS goes.

Dave

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I've cleaned junk out of tanks this way: Fill with fuel. Get a good, long siphon hose, Get a good fuel can that will hold a lot of fuel.....then start siphoning from tank....Work the hose suction end all around the bottom of the tank and over the fuel outlet. As the fuel runs out it will pull any junk with it.
Now the crap will be in the fuel can. You will need to filter it when you put it back into the tractor later.
Actually, before doing all this, you could reach into tank with a clean tool of some sort, and rub the inside of the tank to loosen any junk so the siphon hose can pick it up when you begin to siphon.
Good luck, Pete:)

Bx24dave

Dec 9, 2013
St. John's, NL
Pete

The shape of the tank doesnt lend itself for easy access of cleaning. I also want to remove the rusty fuel gauge which is under the left fender.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Pete

The shape of the tank doesnt lend itself for easy access of cleaning. I also want to remove the rusty fuel gauge which is under the left fender.
A tank like that - it almost makes you wonder if a mad scientist created it like that. I am amazed that fuel gets from side to side.:eek:

I really do not know why they could not have placed the flow out nipple on the fill side - that way someone with a small hand could possibly get their hand in there and "clean" out the debris.

On gas tank on cars/trucks - the fuel pump located in the tank has a fine mesh screen that traps most all debris - shame diesels don't do the same despite the pump not being in the tank.

Bx24dave

Dec 9, 2013
St. John's, NL
I agree with you. I couldnt believe the complicated desgn of the fuel tank. And how about the fuel level device in the tank that rusts! Have a look at this photo of someone else's fuel gauge in a bx.

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have had good luck siphoning junk out of BX fuel tanks with a piece of heater hose! I have avoided removing a number of tanks this way. fill the fuel tank nearly full then work the heater hose to the bottom, get a siphon going into a clean pail so you can observe what comes out.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For a new BX I got about 30 hours before troubles really were frequent. At 30 hours and less than a year ownership got the dealer to change the fuel sensor, since it was goofy. They put in a new one. Troubles were mainly like the poster had and they continued. Perhaps the rust from the old floats were still in the tank. Even after yanking the tank at 210 hours and cleaning it (didn't notice any crap coming out however) had frequent stalling, apparently due to fuel filter plugs. I blamed it thereafter on some jelling of the STABL Biocide which I figured might stop growth of "bugs". That stuff won't flow at 30 degrees F. Disposing of all fuel and installing an outboard first stage fuel filter (much larger), it seems to be OK, but time will tell. By the way, don't fall for buying cheap fuel pumps (from Hong Kong). I got 10 hours on them before they quit. For a person thinking of a BX, I say think twice. Look for gravity fuel feed, no fuel pump.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For a person thinking of a BX, I say think twice. Look for gravity fuel feed, no fuel pump.
I don't know of a single kubota tractor that is gravity feed only system? :confused:
Even the older models with fuel tank above the engine still has a lift pump or a fuel pump to feed fuel to the Injection pump. ;)

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Remove floorboard, and HST pedal
Remove ROPS.
Remove rear fenders (don't forget the 12v accessory outlet..just unplug it).
Remove the two fuel tank stays on the rear of where the roll bar goes.
Remove fuel lines. (fuel's gonna drain out).
Then remove the fuel tank.

It's a pain. But what's the alternative? Leave the junk in it?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey Hokie. I looked at the link you posted and read some of the reviews on the Mr Funnel. Some were complaining it was to small, have you experienced that problem. Are there a choice of sizes?
Some complain it has a slow pour rate. As you use it, you'll see that more you raise the fluid near the top of the funnel, the faster it moves, which makes sense.

If you want to dump 5 gallons in 24.86 seconds.......forget about it !!!!:p

If you wish to pour 5 gallons in 2-3 minutes, that is clean as a whistle - then it rocks!;) I have used mine for the last 2.5 years - have about 100 gallons through it!

Best thing about it ......the fuel filters dont have to work as hard if at all!:eek:;)

I have been using the cheaper one......
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mr+funnel

Piercencg

Equipment
L4701
Jan 3, 2019
Franklinton
Two other options and (one) only safe for diesel fuel or other liquids in tanks with low volatility. My Kubota L4701 kept cutting out and I trouble shot it to junk in the tank. I was halfway through taking the tank out when I called my uncle who has been farming for over 60 years.

He told me to stop taking the tank apart because, "sometimes things don't go back in as easy as they come out." He had taken apart tanks from over four different tractor manufacturers over the years and it was always a pain. Long time back they came up with the idea of using a wet/dry vacuum and attaching a 1/2 hose to the end with electrical tape. It worked and it's been their go to option ever since with cleaning out debris from DIESEL tanks. Don't ever vacuum gasoline or other highly volatile fuels or chemicals. It can create dangerous flammable/combustible environment in the area of use. Also industry adds benzene to gasoline which is highly carcinogenic, destroys fatty tissues and is harmful to life. You don't want to breathe in benzene vapors.

There are dangers in this process but can be managed with simple engineering controls; only preform vacuum in well ventilated area, make sure the vacuum grounds out periodically so it doesn't build up a static charge (my vac was mostly plastic as well) and make sure the discharge vent for the vacuum isn't in a hazardous location. If something doesn't feel safe stop and re-evaluate.

I went and bought a small wet/dry vacuum for $30.00 and pulled about a cup of debris and emulsified diesel (water condensation splashing and mixing with petroleum product until it forms a mousse or jell etc.) from my tank. My tractor immediately started working better. But still had some issues with the fuel supply flowing properly.

To cleanup/ the last little bit of the emulsified fuel I bought a diesel fuel cleaner/de-emulsifier treatment from Autozone for $6.00. The tractor has been progressively running better and better since. This also serves as a alternative to vacuuming if emulsified fuel is your only issue.

Good luck and tempus fugit.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Hey Hokie. I looked at the link you posted and read some of the reviews on the Mr Funnel. Some were complaining it was to small, have you experienced that problem. Are there a choice of sizes?

The do have different flow rate funnels in the Mr. Funnel line

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk