Bx 23D Hydrostatic Oil Seal Install Question?

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
2005 Kubota BX 23 with loader & Backhoe
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
Hello, I have a 2005 BX 23D that I just replaced the front PTO shaft and have completed the reinstall of the Transaxle to the main frame of the tractor, tested everything and the PTO works fine. However I noticed a leak coming from between the Hydrostatic unit and front cover plate, so I removed the Hydrostatic unit and ordered new seals, problem I am having is the lip of the seal is rolling over as I instal it and once it’s installed you cannot get it out without ruining it. I am using grease on the backside of the seal to keep the spring tensioner in place and use trans oil around the lip of the seal. What am I doing wrong here, I have tried (3) seals with no success. This is the upper shaft seal that goes to the driveshaft, the lower seal went on no problem at all. I am using a socket which is the exact size as the outside diameter of the seal to push it in, I can literally push the seal in with my hand, no tapping required, just steady pressure. Any help would be much appreciated from anyone. Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
if you have a WSM they might show some sort of tapered tool to use on the shaft to help with the seal installation.

If the shaft has some type of splined end then using some aluminum foil wrapped around the shaft may help.

Can you leave the seal out of the cover and install them separately? Then you may be able to get the seal rolled back in place and then press into the cover?

Maybe use a really thin shim (from feeler gauge?) and roll it into a ring and insert that into the seal bore and then install it on the shaft so shim slides along the shaft instead of the seal.

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
if you have a WSM they might show some sort of tapered tool to use on the shaft to help with the seal installation.

If the shaft has some type of splined end then using some aluminum foil wrapped around the shaft may help.

Can you leave the seal out of the cover and install them separately? Then you may be able to get the seal rolled back in place and then press into the cover?

Maybe use a really thin shim (from feeler gauge?) and roll it into a ring and insert that into the seal bore and then install it on the shaft so shim slides along the shaft instead of the seal.
Thanks, this Seal can only be accessed from one side unless you split the hydro unit which I would rather not do, I am going to buy another seal and if is starts to roll then I will take your advice and use a very thin feeler gauge to try and peel it back up. Just hate to pay someone $129 to put in a $10 seal, I have put in many seals over my years and never ran into this situation. I purchased the seals from Messicks which are great to deal with, however the seals came in a clear bag as if they buy them in bulk and not individual kubota sealed bag. I am assuming they are genuine kubota parts.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Snap-On makes a set of tools to help with seal lip and O ring removal. I used mine to fix a seal lip that had rolled on me. You can purchase the same set with different handles on Amazon under the Sunnex brand. I have also used Saran Wrap to protect the seal lips when installing them, and then carefully pulled it off the shaft.
s-l1600.jpg

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
Thanks for the sunex tool set suggestion, I ordered it today and should be here tomorrow. I appreciate your advice and have ordered a new seal, this tool is exactly what I needed and didn’t even know such a toon existed. I am hoping to be successful this try!