Brake Service l225 Kubota

bidwars

Equipment
L225
Jul 24, 2024
Iowa
Hi everyone,

Working on my Kubota L225 brakes. I removed the cover, brake drum, and pads without a problem. The cover was attached with RTV red gasket and only a few 8mm bolts. The problem is that the cover should have been attached with about 10 bolts the rest have been broken off on the brake plate. How do I remove the brake plate so i can drill out the bolts and put in new ones. I took all 4 center bolts out of the plate but it will not move. It seems like the 8mm bolts attached to the brake plate are still attached to tractor but I have no way to unbolt them because the heads are gone. It is very difficult to drill a hole in the center of the old bolt with the plate on the tractor. What holds the plate in place?

Thanks

bidwars

Equipment
L225
Jul 24, 2024
Iowa
Is there possibly a snap ring in the middle of that brake plate holding it on?
I added some pictures. I don't see any snap ring holding it in

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Go to Kubota books dot com and find the WSM (Work Shop Manual) for the L225. It covers the brakes but not in great detail.

This is the illustration from the WSM
IMG_0199.png

I think you are battling a lot of rust that has bonded it to the tractor.

I would be spraying it with your favorite high quality rust penetrant (PB Blaster, Knock’er Loose, Kroil…) then try to pry it off and hammer it with a mallet to move it back and forth. Spray, hammer, pry, hammer, spray, hammer…repeat.

Spray the inner diameter where it joins the axle case and into each bolt location.

You may want to find some type of wedge to drive behind it and then heat it?

But I would try the penetrating oil first.

There is a clip ring on the thing sticking out (#49 in diagram) and I don’t think they are holding it on but you could remove them just to be sure.

If you weld or have a trusted welder available you could try to weld a nut to the end of the bro bolts. Weld inside the nut to the bolt. Use a nut that is smaller so it doesn’t allow you to weld the nut to the backing plate. Try to unscrew the broken bolt. BUT if this doesn’t work you will have to grind off the nuts since the can be holding the backing plate on (like a bolt head).

Good Luck

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Remove these snap rings (purple)
And clean these guide pins (blue)

1729217577921.png