Box scraper or Rake?

Mainiac12

Aug 18, 2018
Maine
I have a long gravel driveway just under 1/4 mile. Trying to decide between a box scraper or a landscape rake. I’m leaning towards the box but my dealer thinks the rake would work fine and be easier to operate....thoughts?

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
I would say box blade, or land plane. Rake wouldn’t cut it I think. I fixed one driveway with my bx, the rake could break the ground, box blade did.

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
I've had really good luck with a landscape rake - turned backward for a 900 foot long graveled drive in summer. I've also had good luck using the rake (turned normally, but
angled acutely) to clear the small snows that we get in Oklahoma in the winter.

The rake just seems to "aerate" the snow,
but then it melts quickly where I have raked. We never have more than three or four inches
of snow, though.

I've also used a box blade when the gravel happened to have been eroded badly. It does
repair the drive better, but the rake seems to work fine for routine maintenance.

This is worth less than $0.02 Both are useful tools.

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I recently bought a ratchet rake and it has been awesom for repairing the gravel driveway. Works best after a rain and dries a bit. Just drop the bucket with slight forward tilt and drive forward and backward.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I have a quarter mile gravel drive, started out with just a home made drag harrow, which works great. I also use a box blade when it gets badly rutted due to heavy rain, moves more material. You can do a decent job with the box blade with some practice but....... the land plane is the easiest to use for every day touch ups, it really does a nice job. Works best if the drive is dry. If I could only have one it would be the land plane.