Bobcat 553 D950

josh2121

Equipment
bobcat 553 d950
Oct 20, 2024
Bought it few days ago. smokes at low rpm until warms up. (sounds like a valve or something finally opens) but at high rpm blows white smoke. took exhaust manifold off and it smokes from cylinder 3. almost 5000 hours on the machine. past owner stopped using it often and bought a different tractor 3 years prior and shows only 9 hours more after oil change in 2021.

ill go over what ive done so far

swapped injectors 2 and 3 to see if problem would move to cylinder 2 (didnt)
(cylinder 3 injector was quite charred with carbon though. glow plug was also fouled up.

previous owner said injector pump was rebuild. took a look myself and took it apart a bit and all seems well (not a professional but to my eye nothing obviously broken) put it back together. during this process i moved cylinder 3 fouled black glow plug to cylinder 1

was so hard to start. used a different battery (not sure if this affects voltage going to glow plugs)

smokes black now, spits oil it seems (black) from cylinder 3. (possible its carbon build up with unburned fuel)
engine also sounds like it was to run away almost.

might have not put the stems (if thats what theyre called) inside the injector port at the proper degree from what research ive read here so far from others experiences.

when first running the machine with its white smoke issues. coolant level doesnt go down as if eating coolant. only really would bog down when using steering to go back with one side of the wheels and forward with the other. (would stall at times)
machine was easy to start during this.

ordered new glow plugs in the meantime. will look to take off valve cover to run it and see if i see any oil coming up.

i do get white smoke puffs from vent tube. (before the black smoke issue)

Oil level shows high on dip stick.

this is my very first heavy machine and relatively new to diesel. (just bought a 1992 f250 7.3 idi the other day and been working on that. thats my extent of experience on diesel but typically can do most things myself.)

been reading a lot of the forums but to be upfront a lot just fall off with the OP disappearing without written resolution.

Could use a bit of guidance or expertise if any willing. Thank you.