Big Shovel for the BX FEL quick connect

Mani1147

Equipment
2013 BX2370, belly mower, rear snow blower, rear tiller, front loader
Aug 20, 2013
NB, Canada
I've had this in mind for a bit and decided to throw the idea down in Sketchup to scale. You guys think it could work for digging trench. Obviously not as practical as a real BX hoe but a lot cheaper.
Cheers
Rob

Attachments

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I've had this in mind for a bit and decided to throw the idea down in Sketchup to scale. You guys think it could work for digging trench. Obviously not as practical as a real BX hoe but a lot cheaper.
Cheers
Rob
It would have to be heavy plate steel to hold up. I know with the hard rocky ground here, I'm amazed I can dig with the backhoe. There will be a lot of stress on it. I picked up a trencher/ripper tooth for my BX, and its 1/2" thick, heavy welded, and ground to a point.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Cheers
Rob

the part where the horz meets the vert will need to be stronger, I made something like this before........wasnt happy in the end!!!!:(

change the scoop ( too much to bend) to a stubbie like blade ( sub -soiler)

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just buy a Subsoiler, they are designed to do what your trying to do.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Talked to a guy in Colorado who needed a wider trench than his subsoiler would dig, so he bought another one, cut them up, and welded the two side by side. Made about a 6" trench if I remember correctly, but he pulled it with a large green tractor, I'd guess 50hp. Looked like soft ground too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm sorry but I misread what you wanted to do.

Sorry but it just wont work, no matter what material you use, your going to be faced with 2 main problems, you don't have enough tractor, and all the forces will be against you to get it to work.
You could also do some serious damage to the FEL just trying it, the forces involved can bend and break parts in a quick hurry. ;)

The closest you will come is this kind of setup (pic below) and you just don't have enough tractor to run it, there use are more suited for use on a Skid steer with a whole lot of HP and weigh.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You can run a subsoiler at each end of the 'width' of the trench you want. You can then run it down the middle and if need be, multiple passes until all the soil is disrupted.

At that point you can just use a thick, almost vertical scraper to pull most of the material out of the trench and finish up with a shovel.

Now, unless you are doing this a lot on your land, I'd suggest a $200 backhoe/excavator rental for a day and save yourself a lot of frustration and hand work. Those are the tools meant for what you are actually trying to do.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
I've had this in mind ...
Built it !!

It is cheap and made in a short amount of time.
Even if it does not work perfect, you will get ideas to built a better one.

You will gain knowledge and will have fun to built something with your hands.

As long you do not stress your orange friend to much, it should be OK.

I have built my own front 3ph and a bucket. I used it to dig stumps out.

Have fun.

BR carl