BH92 creaking noise when moving the boom left to right not in and out

Scorp

Equipment
L4802, BH92
May 9, 2024
Virginia
Was on my L4802 (18.2 hours on it) digging some rocks out of the yard, when the BH92 started making a creaking noise when i move it left to right, doesn't do it when booming out or in. It's hard o explain what it sounds like, but the best I can think of is if you shut a old door slowly. I should mention that as well it makes this creaking noise when you move the boom slowly. I've greased everything till grease is coming out of the connections, and it still is making this noise. I bought the tractor May 25th and have used the backhoe around 8 hours total.

Can anyone please help a newbie out here, thank you.

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I would look for loose bolts on the subframe as well as cracked welds. Try to narrow down where the noise is coming from. I assume this is new equipment.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Was on my L4802 (18.2 hours on it) digging some rocks out of the yard, when the BH92 started making a creaking noise when i move it left to right, doesn't do it when booming out or in. It's hard o explain what it sounds like, but the best I can think of is if you shut a old door slowly. I should mention that as well it makes this creaking noise when you move the boom slowly. I've greased everything till grease is coming out of the connections, and it still is making this noise. I bought the tractor May 25th and have used the backhoe around 8 hours total.

Can anyone please help a newbie out here, thank you.
Seems as though several grease zerks may have been missed?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would first grab the manual and go over and highlight each zerk to be sure you haven't missed one.

I would also move the boom "full left" then grease, then move it "full right" and grease again or some combination of angles. Maybe there is a "dry spot".

After that, I would probably use a "mechanics stethoscope" and have someone move it while you put the "scope" on various locations to pin point the source of the "creaking". (in a pinch, I have also put the handle of a long screwdriver in my ear and used the tip to locate noises)

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Kubota is good at painting grease fittings shut or not tightening them, so be sure that grease is actually going thru and not just forming a pile next to the fitting. Black moly grease is recommended for a backhoe.

Reactions: 1 user

Scorp

Equipment
L4802, BH92
May 9, 2024
Virginia
Kubota is good at painting grease fittings shut or not tightening them, so be sure that grease is actually going thru and not just forming a pile next to the fitting. Black moly grease is recommended for a backhoe.
Thanks, I didn't check for paint over, and thank for the recommendation about the grease.

Scorp

Equipment
L4802, BH92
May 9, 2024
Virginia
I would first grab the manual and go over and highlight each zerk to be sure you haven't missed one.

I would also move the boom "full left" then grease, then move it "full right" and grease again or some combination of angles. Maybe there is a "dry spot".

After that, I would probably use a "mechanics stethoscope" and have someone move it while you put the "scope" on various locations to pin point the source of the "creaking". (in a pinch, I have also put the handle of a long screwdriver in my ear and used the tip to locate noises)
Is that really a thing with the screwdriver or are you trying to make me look bad :), I know I said I was a newbie.

Scorp

Equipment
L4802, BH92
May 9, 2024
Virginia
I would look for loose bolts on the subframe as well as cracked welds. Try to narrow down where the noise is coming from. I assume this is new equipment.
Thanks for the suggestion, I did look and didn't notice anything.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is that really a thing with the screwdriver or are you trying to make me look bad :), I know I said I was a newbie.
No, the screwdriver trick is real. Lots of folks do that for many applications.

Given it's the swing of the backhoe, one would have to be very cautious.

Don't want anyone to get their head in a "bind."

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It's a thing for sure.

I have a 30 inch'ish screwdriver that I use when I can't find my stethoscope.

But I can see why you would be cautious.....just don't fall for the old "Go to the parts store and get me a cable stretcher." line, like my daughter did.... 😂 😂 😂

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Mine did that new too, it was the pivot wasn’t getting enough grease. Do like RWS said and it should take it. Next I’d try one of those zerk cleaners with WD40. I’ve had good luck clearing zerks, just tap on the end though, if you clobber it you may create trouble.

Scorp

Equipment
L4802, BH92
May 9, 2024
Virginia
It's a thing for sure.

I have a 30 inch'ish screwdriver that I use when I can't find my stethoscope.

But I can see why you would be cautious.....just don't fall for the old "Go to the parts store and get me a cable stretcher." line, like my daughter did.... 😂 😂 😂
LOL...ok, I'm gonna get me a long screwdriver and try this out. Thanks for the advice its' much appreciated

Scorp

Equipment
L4802, BH92
May 9, 2024
Virginia
Mine did that new too, it was the pivot wasn’t getting enough grease. Do like RWS said and it should take it. Next I’d try one of those zerk cleaners with WD40. I’ve had good luck clearing zerks, just tap on the end though, if you clobber it you may create trouble.
Thanks, I'll try that. Also good to know that you had a similar or same issue. Local dealer had me talk to a tech that said it was more than likely growing pains and not to worry about it and just use it, he also mentioned that it is under warranty, so i guess "use it till it breaks then fight to get it fixed" is the mantra. I thought they would have at least want to come out and check it.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Yep I videotaped the motion and sound and emailed to dealer. I figured that way it was on record.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I have a set of clip on microphones that connect to a head set. I use for hard to pinpoint noises on automotive chassis etc.
Maybe one of your local parts stores has something like that for rent????