Bad weld on TOP-N-TILT KIT on a Grand L Tractor L8388A

Home Valley Farmer

Equipment
L3301 Grand L6060
Jun 27, 2024
Stevenson, WA, United States
Proud second owner of a 2 or3 year old Grand L6060 with 125 hours on it and the top-n-tilt option on the three point. Tractor was put into service cutting hay with a 3-point mounted 6 disc mower. The weld on the tilt cylinder rod to the attachment bracket separated during normal use.

Easy to see in the photos that there is little to no weld penetration. Appears to me as a manufacturing defect. I took this to my local Kubota dealer (not the original seller) and inquired about the warranty on the tractor. They checked and politely said, not covered by warranty. $690 to replace the cylinder.

Any thoughts on appealing to Kubota at a corporate level. Clearly the weld was inadequate. They likely had this issue on other welds and may have already addressed it.

Yes, I can have my local amateur welder take a shot at a repair, but how about Kubota?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA

20240620_201000.jpg
20240620_201007.jpg

waverider

Equipment
MX5400HST
Aug 4, 2023
Santa Cruz, CA
Interesting, I also recently had a weld failure on my Landpride T&T top cylinder. I emailed Landpride and they said they hadn't been aware of any such failures. I ended up just re-welding it so that I wouldn't be out of commission too long.

IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Proud second owner of a 2 or3 year old Grand L6060 with 125 hours on it and the top-n-tilt option on the three point. Tractor was put into service cutting hay with a 3-point mounted 6 disc mower. The weld on the tilt cylinder rod to the attachment bracket separated during normal use.

Easy to see in the photos that there is little to no weld penetration. Appears to me as a manufacturing defect. I took this to my local Kubota dealer (not the original seller) and inquired about the warranty on the tractor. They checked and politely said, not covered by warranty. $690 to replace the cylinder.

Any thoughts on appealing to Kubota at a corporate level. Clearly the weld was inadequate. They likely had this issue on other welds and may have already addressed it.

Yes, I can have my local amateur welder take a shot at a repair, but how about Kubota?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA

View attachment 131574 View attachment 131575
To put it in my best vernacular, I think you be SOL!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I had a different failure of the LP/Kubota top link cylinder in July of 2021 that required my welding a new heim joint on and it's been great ever since. It was a case of a poor design rather than a poor weld, but I simply cut off the damaged part and welded on a new part (given to me by the local dealer at no cost).

link_4.jpg

heim_01.jpg

heim_07.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Home Valley Farmer, that's such an easy fix for any competent welder. If you lived close I'd do it for free.

Here's the prep work I did for the weld. A few passes with a 7018 rod and all was good.

link_6.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Last year loader frame on my BX23S broke ( I suspected a bad weld of the tube to right arm ). Local dealer never seen before, new frame is $2500+ 13% taxes. Went to my neighbour's shop, literally across the road from dealer,dropped off the 2 pieces. Went back next morning with SSQA rame so he could line everything up but it was 'missing' ! No wait, it's ALREADY done ! How he did it is 'magic' to me but the pins slid on silky smooth ! he confirmed LOUSY weld.
I politely emailed Kubota Canada as there may be a bad batch of loader frames, 2 hours later my Kubota account had been generously refilled !!!

BTW, I've beat the bejeebers out of it since then, ZERO issues.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a FEL bucket quick detach (not a SSQA) and at about 200 hours a weld failed, obvious poor quality weld.Kubota totally blew me off. My dealer was bought out by a large chain and the service manager also blew me off. Talked to a guy that lives local to me and and still works there in parts. He told me new management, it was more likely to snow in July than have them care about a BX25 owner. Oh well. Local heavy equip service place welded me up PDQ for $25
Props to R-Tec Welding of Rockville, VA