b7200d dynamo and rectifier/regulator

ken

Equipment
b7200d
Aug 1, 2009
unionville,oh,usa
I have a mid 80's b7200d. I replaced the rectifier/regulator located behind the dash because the charge light wouldn't go out or only dimmed when the engine was revved up. The dynamo was producing current. The battery was not being charged.
A couple questions:
1.Is there an easier way to access that rectifier/regulator than taking most of the tractor apart. I must have spent 2 hours disassemblying the dash, steering, tank, firewall,throttle linkage, etc.?
2. Now my charge light doesn't come on at all and I'm not charging the battery. I hate to think I have to take all that apart to see if there's a poor connection. Any suggestions?
3. I think life would be easier if I could replace that little dynamo with a single wire alternator. I noted today that an ebayer (Cheap Tractor Parts)has a listing for an alternator he alledges will fit on a b7200. Anybody have any experience with him or his alternator? Any other suggestions?
Thank you, Ken

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
Ken,
I also have the same problem with a B7200. I took the dynamo apart and cleaned it, replaced the battery clamps, replaced the rectifier (you are right, quite a job to get to), and the best I got was about 2 minutes before the charge light came back on. If you remove the steering wheel, you can unbolt the dash and the only thing you need to disconnect is the hour meter cable in order to lift the dash up and turn it over to get at the rectifier.
Ed Hill

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Ken,

My B8200 is having a problem with the charge light staying on. I still need to clean the Dynamo to see if that helps. I replaced the Ground cable today because the one that was on it was too short and in the wrong location.

Does anyone know where to check to see if current is being created by the Dynamo and also how much should be expected?