B7200 moves forward and reverse only on level surface. Crawls slowly

Mattjgarcia717

Equipment
B7200
Jun 21, 2020
Bernalillo, NM
I have a reg B7200 Tractor that was working fine in 4WD, then all of a sudden, it wouldn’t move forward or reverse. PTO works, bucket moves up and down, and rear arms go up and down as well.
When I put into 2wd, it crawled, but only on level surface and extremely slow. It cannot go up an incline at all and just stops.

any idea what it could be?

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a reg B7200 Tractor that was working fine in 4WD, then all of a sudden, it wouldn’t move forward or reverse. PTO works, bucket moves up and down, and rear arms go up and down as well.
When I put into 2wd, it crawled, but only on level surface and extremely slow. It cannot go up an incline at all and just stops.

any idea what it could be?
Clutch

Does clutch pedal have any free play?

Clutch disk could have worn out or failed.

Dave

Mattjgarcia717

Equipment
B7200
Jun 21, 2020
Bernalillo, NM
Clutch

Clutch disk could have worn out or failed.

Dave
Thanks,

When I press clutch in to put in gear,
There is no grinding.
I can also go into gear without pressing clutch.
Tractor does move very slowly but only on low range. Does not move at all in high.

Mattjgarcia717

Equipment
B7200
Jun 21, 2020
Bernalillo, NM
It is standard, not HST.
It does move slowly in low range and in all gears, but very slowly.
It doesn’t move at all in high.

i can put it into gear without pressing the clutch while the tractor is on with no grinding.

QUOTE="Roadworthy, post: 399432, member: 39230"]
Is the tractor standard or HST? Does it work better in one gear range than others?
[/QUOTE

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If it's a clutch/manual transmission, and it's in gear (i.e. moving) but not moving at the speed you'd expect for RPM, it really has to be clutch. Everything else is mechanically linked, the only point of slippage should be the clutch, and it sounds like your clutch is slipping.

Reactions: 1 user

WheelHorseNick

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 26, 2020
Connecticut
If it only moves in low range, and not in hi, I would think transmission issues. If it were the clutch, I'd think it would do the same thing regardless of range and gear.

Does it make any odd noises when in gear and driving slow?

How many hours are on it and what kind of implements have you been running?

Mattjgarcia717

Equipment
B7200
Jun 21, 2020
Bernalillo, NM
If it's a clutch/manual transmission, and it's in gear (i.e. moving) but not moving at the speed you'd expect for RPM, it really has to be clutch. Everything else is mechanically linked, the only point of slippage should be the clutch, and it sounds like your clutch is slipping.
Thank you very much. I purchased a clutch assembly kit and will put it on next week.

Mattjgarcia717

Equipment
B7200
Jun 21, 2020
Bernalillo, NM
If it only moves in low range, and not in hi, I would think transmission issues. If it were the clutch, I'd think it would do the same thing regardless of range and gear.

Does it make any odd noises when in gear and driving slow?

How many hours are on it and what kind of implements have you been running?
Hello, it does have about 900 hours on it. It actually moves very slow in high range. ill be replacing clutch so hopefully that will take care of it.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I didn't see an answer to this question..... the simplest repair... an adjustment.

It may be too late now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Hello, the clutch doesn’t have any free play? Should i try and adjusting it?
Absolutely! It should have about 1" to 1 1/2" of free play.

Maybe you'll get lucky. With no free play it's been slipping and wearing this whole time.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Putt your nose down by the bellhousing and smell. Does it stink? If it does, you toasted the clutch. Hopefully, you bought an oem clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Aftermarket clutches are questionable at best.

You need to be always cognizant of freeplay in the pedal / linkage. 1 to 1.5 inches always.

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
That worked!!!!! Awesome.
the rod was on its last thread , i adjusted and now it has play and working fine!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!
Fantastic!! Saved yourself a split!

Make yourself aware during use... that pedal always has to have freeplay.

Mattjgarcia717

Equipment
B7200
Jun 21, 2020
Bernalillo, NM
Putt your nose down by the bellhousing and smell. Does it stink? If it does, you toasted the clutch. Hopefully, you bought an oem clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Aftermarket clutches are questionable at best.

You need to be always cognizant of freeplay in the pedal / linkage. 1 to 1.5 inches always.
no smell at all. Working fine so far!!! Thank you all for your help. Gotta put my orange lady back to work!!!! Great forum and can’t thank you all enough