B7100 HST 4wd - good deal?

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
Do you know if it comes with the enclosure as well? Looks like it is priced about right, maybe a bit high if you are trying to get a deal. Looks like it is in pretty good condition though.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
It does come with the enclosure. I talked to the seller on the phone and he seems like a really nice guy. The snowblower isn't Kubota but he modified it to work on the tractor, and the cab is home built but looks like it was pretty well done.

Compared to the gas powered garden tractors I've been looking at in my area this Kubota seems like a much more capable tractor and the price really isn't that much more, and as far as the John Deere garden tractors go this is the same price as the gas ones and cheaper than the diesels.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If the hours are low, it is a fair price. The front tires are not original, which could mean that the tractor has enough mileage on it to wear them out, or they wanted something with more traction that the factory originals offered. If the enclosure, deck, and blower are included, and the tractor is sound, you will be hard pressed to find a better deal. The B7100HST is a great tractor, and parts are readily available.
Welcome to the forum!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You should double the price of those gas tractors(?), because the Kubota will outlast 2 or three of them. Then make the comparisons.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Didn't go yesterday, but we have it set up for me to go look at the tractor tomorrow. Talked to the seller again and he said he's had it about 2 years and the hour meter has never worked since he's had it, so he doesn't know how many hours it has, but he estimated he's used it about 25 hours. The more I think about this vs a garden tractor like a Simplicity Sunstar or an Ingersoll 400/4000 series, the more I think the Kubota is the way to go, mainly because I have a hill with a 15-20 degree slope to mow and I also want to be able to haul a trailer up and down the hill without having to worry about whether or not the tractor will be able to do it. If it wasn't for the hill, the Kubota would probably be overkill.

Thanks for the help so far! :)

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Posted this in the other thread I started, but I figured I'd post it here as well in case anybody was interested and didn't see the other thread. I apologize if I should have limited it to just one of the threads...

Well I went and looked at the Kubota today, and unfortunately I did not buy it as the seller and I could not agree on a price. The snowblower was huge and actually a bit big for the tractor, but it was pretty cobbled, and so was the home made cab. The tractor itself was in pretty good shape, but it there were certain things that turned me off:

- There were paint runs in several places where I'm guessing paint was touched up, along with fingerprints in the paint in spots.
- The rear tires were shot and needed to be replaced.
- There were added on switches drilled into the dash.
- There was loose wiring hanging all over the place.
- Both the engine and transmission were leaking from somewhere.
- The axle pivot was a little loose, although it wasn't terrible.
- The owner didn't have the deck belt tight so when I mowed with it it was slipping like crazy and actually started smoking (I couldn't see it, but my friend who came with me did). I'm sure it would have cut fine if he had tightened the tensioner properly, but I don't understand why he didn't do that to begin with.
- The rear light setup needed a good bit of work.
- Instead of installing a proper battery tie down to keep the battery from bouncing and hitting the hood, he put a leather work glove on top of the battery

The positives:

- It ran GREAT. Started right up, no smoke besides the initial black puff, and absolutely zero blowby from the crankcase breather after it warmed up.
- 4wd worked perfectly.
- Hydro drive worked perfectly.
- 3 point hitch worked as it should.
- Mid and rear PTO engaged and disengaged without issue.
- High and low range worked perfectly.
- The ball joints were all tight.
- Brakes worked like they should.
- All fluids looked were at proper levels and looked clean.

He wanted $4200 for the tractor w/deck, snowblower, and cab. He said he had an offer of $700 for the snowblower, which was cool with me because after seeing it I wanted nothing to do with it (or the cab, for that matter). Taking into account that it needed tires and some other work, and that I'm sure I'd find other stuff it would need once I dug into it, I offered him $2500 cash. He said he already had an offer of $3600 from someone else for just the tractor and deck and wouldn't go any lower than that. I sat in my truck and thought about it for a few minutes and then left. I wanted very badly to buy it because that tractor was downright AWESOME, but I figure for $3600 for just the tractor and deck it should be in a lot better shape with good tires and without all the half-arsed electrical work. Maybe I made a mistake, but I feel good about walking away from it. I'm really hoping I can find another one though because after testing that one out I'm completely sold on Kubota SCUTs!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Keep looking. I think you would be buying something where work might be needed soon. I'd opt for low hours, even if it costs something more. In my experience tractors don't seem to depreciate fast at all, especially if hours are not high. While snow blower in front may seem great, you can do a lot with a rear blade even on that size machine. My BX is not phased much by big snows as long as I have the bucket on front to do what the rear blade can't. AND a snow blower does not make you as free of cold with the wind blowing the wrong way, as does a blade, which works in any wind direction..

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah the guy's wiring debacle worried me. Made me wonder what else he got into and made a mess of. It ran and drove like it had low hours though. He only had it two years so maybe he didn't get his hands into it too much.

How much does a set of tires tend to run for those tractors?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
On those tires, for snow plowing I use chains, so tire tread is no big deal. Usually only need the rear with chains, but if icy I put on the front ones.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
The problem I encountered with the tires was when I tried to climb a hill close to the steepness of the one I have to mow it lost traction and spun out (all 4 tires spun), and on one attempt it slid back down the hill. I'd rather not mow with chains on all the time, so I would have had to replace the tires.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tires for the tractor, Depending on tread type, run about $85 each for fronts and $110 each for rears.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
So roughly $400, which would put me at $4000 for the tractor with no attachments, and I'd still have to clean up his wiring mess and fix any other issues I'd find. It would be great to have it, but I'm not sure it's worth the price, although it is still tempting. :p

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
$4000 is on the steep side but not totally out of the ball park for what I think it's worth. Wiring on that tractor is real simple and probably wouldn't take much to straiten it out.

crippler

Equipment
KUBOTA Bx23s, KUBOTA B6200, KUBOTA B7400, KUBOTA B7800, Mitsubishi D1500 II
May 25, 2014
Carthage NY
I am going tomorrow to pick up a newer one with the 6 lug wheels with newer looking R1s(ag tires) and ROPS and finish mower and 5 foot blower for 4300. Only 800 hours and looks mint. it is so nice I am willing to drive 6 hrs to pick it up !!!

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
I don't really want to shout this from the rooftops, but I will share my story, just to give you an idea of what is out there. I grew up in metro Atlanta, on the north side. My wife's step father works in Atlanta and lives almost 80 miles north, driving daily. My wife and I moved to the east side of Birmingham. I heard that a B7100D was available from my step father in law... his coworkers wife's father had passed and she had inherited it. She had no use for it or its 6 attachments, all about 80's-90's models:48" aerator, 48" sidewinder bush hog, 48" box blade, 8 disc single row harrow, single point turning plow, and a 48" Steiner Tiller. I got everything for 2k. I tried to offer more, not much more, but more. I didn't need a tractor, I just realized it would be handy with new the property we are on, which is about an acre and a half, with potential to garden more area in a neighboring lot. We plan to move to 30-50 acre farm in the next year or two, so I figure it will be a great starter tractor.

I rented a 2500 Dodge and a Uhaul cargo trailer and drove about 200 miles one way to get the tractor. I understood it hadn't run for a year, but they thought it worked last time he needed it. The man had passed and didn't relay the whole story. I was driving out and the lady and I spoke and she said, bottom line is, I need $2,000. I told her I had that and more in my pocket, but wanted to look at its condition before I gave her a guarantee on the deal. The tractor looked a little rough and had been parked in a field for at least a year and she just wanted it gone. She said she had advertised it for months and everyone wanted to split it up, but she wanted one buyer for all. Not sure what avenues she had tried, but I wasn't actively looking for tractors, so I never saw any ads, myself.

I got it home and put a new oil filter and fuel filter on it. I changed those and looked at the fuel. I had to tap the starter just to get it to begin to turn over at all when the key was turned. Next I found that it was missing a wire feed to the glow plugs. I rigged up some speaker wire and it started right up, with very little smoke and ran beautifully. I couldn't get it in gear that first time it started up without grinding gears, but it ran so smooth I figured I could fix whatever else was going on. Next time I got on it, I was able to change gears, but still made grinds some time. I have used it about 10 hours since and it seemed ok for about the middle half of those hours. I busted the PTO and it was out of commission when I took off the rear plate and found the last person had not put the bolt and three washers back into place, so I waited for parts. The I drove it and the grinding is so awful, I feel the best thing to do is open it up and look at the clutch and check it to specs.

So I feel like I got a wonderful deal and almost felt bad for getting it that cheap, but it has cost me several hours and a couple hundred bucks in new things for it(although the seat was well worth $100). I knew nothing about tractors or diesels two months ago and have had to figure a lot out rather quickly. We are also well into garden season in the south here and all our stuff is a couple weeks behind in growth. I plan to drain fluids this evening and begin detaching lines, so it will split easily. Even after the clutch and a few new tools, I should still be way out ahead and I think I will have a solid tractor for years to come.

Last edited:

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
If it's any consolation to you I bought my B7100 HST-D 3 mts ago. The guy was asking $5100 for it. He had a 60" deck with it he'd mounted an aftermarket loader on, but if I wanted to use the deck (which I don't) I would have had to remove the loader framing. Tires also dry rot but not a huge issue since many are like that yet. Long and short of it I picked it up for $4100. Everything worked as it should. No smoke, no leaks, an bucket held pressure w/o drain back. I'm happy
I have to to tell ya the folks on this site are GREAT when you need answers.;)