b7100 big motor

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just put in a D950 in mine. Used one out of a Jacobson/Textron 21.5 HP.
A real boost over the 16HP of the D750.
You will need to change the fittings and the hoses to the radiator ,most D950's use a water pump).
Try to get a complete motor with the alternator and alternator brackets if you can, as they don't use the dynamo when it has a water pump. I just altered mine and put a Chevy alternator on it, you can get the stock alternator to work on it, you will just need to alter the wiring or get a wiring harness for it.
Mounting bolts and bell hosing bolt holes are the same.
I used the flywheel and clutch off of my D750 because they were new.
If it came out of something that didn't use a clutch get a pilot bushing for it or you will destroy the throw out bearing and possibly the clutch input shaft.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
With that big a change, just like in a car or truck, I think you would just wind up breaking things if you don't upgrade everything together. And in the case of a tractor, I think that basically means buying a tractor that came with a motor in the desired range.

D750 to D950 is only an incremental change, and likely well within the safety margin engineered into these tractors. But by using up that margin, you may no longer get "legendary reliability" of the Kubota, but you've got good odds of it lasting and doing well. But if you go outside that margin, like turning up the wick on a diesel truck without addressing the remaining parts (particularly the transmission), you'll likely spend more time (and money) than you like with breakage.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Have you looked at just how small shaft that transmits the power from the clutch back to the transmission is? I don't think I would want 30 hp turning that shaft.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Realistacally the biggest (hp wise) and safest lump you can fit is a DH850-B which is rated at 23hp as compared to 21.5 hp for the D950-B.
I fitted a D850-B (19.8 hp) which works well with no overheating or other issues to date.:D:)
The DH850-B is also a higher reving engine 3600rpm .
D950 has a fairly spread out torque range whereas the DH850-B has a much tighter torque curve, choice is yours myfreind.

you need to remember that the D650/750/850/950 lumps found in 6100 /7100 etc upwards into 8200 etc are all the 70mm series engines and share a basic layout etc, heads differ due to vlave sizes etc but overall size format is the same hance why you can slot 950 into a B6100, but thats does not mean you could fit a 950 head onto a 750 block.

you could allways stick a blower on a 950 lump if you want a bigger bang for your buck....:eek:

its a case of finely balancing power and reliability..
rob

Last edited:

jc82chevyman

May 14, 2013
Tipton, IN
Ok, point made on the intermediate shaft between the clutch and trans. Ok so what can be done to make the 750 crank out more power and whats the associated parts to ad a pressurized cooling system. Ive read some of the later model 750's had water pumps before I get to wild I want to make sure it will hold together.

1kubotakid

Nov 19, 2013
Webberville mich
I just put in a D950 in mine. Used one out of a Jacobson/Textron 21.5 HP.
A real boost over the 16HP of the D750.
You will need to change the fittings and the hoses to the radiator ,most D950's use a water pump).
Try to get a complete motor with the alternator and alternator brackets if you can, as they don't use the dynamo when it has a water pump. I just altered mine and put a Chevy alternator on it, you can get the stock alternator to work on it, you will just need to alter the wiring or get a wiring harness for it.
Mounting bolts and bell hosing bolt holes are the same.
I used the flywheel and clutch off of my D750 because they were new.
If it came out of something that didn't use a clutch get a pilot bushing for it or you will destroy the throw out bearing and possibly the clutch input shaft.
NIW,
I was reading about something you posted about a engine upgrade, then u ran off with some hijacker,.. And left the thread stumped, Iam confused with your post,..did it ever happen and where did the story play out?. I waz searching engine mods and after your op it went south. That sucked,..cuz the last thing I wanted to read about waz somebody hanging a loader frame on a tractor,.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NIW,
I was reading about something you posted about a engine upgrade, then u ran off with some hijacker,.. And left the thread stumped, Iam confused with your post,..did it ever happen and where did the story play out?. I waz searching engine mods and after your op it went south. That sucked,..cuz the last thing I wanted to read about waz somebody hanging a loader frame on a tractor,.
I did the mod in a quick hurry as it's a super simple swap.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10867&page=8
Is there something specific you need to know about it?

Last edited: