B3300SU no start - blown slow blow fuse, blown solenoid... Fixed

Tennessee_Pete

Equipment
B3300SU
Jul 13, 2021
West Tennessee
Howdy all, long time lurker and have gleaned some great info from this site. Ran into a snag yesterday and didnt find a direct answer so i figured i would throw it out there in case someone else ran into this issue.

My 3300 has about 480 hours on it and runs like a champ. New battery a few months ago to replace the original 8 year old battery. Since then about 80 hours on it cleaning/digging out an old pond site without a hiccup.
Yesterday, started it up and after about 2 minutes, it quit dead. Would turn over but not fire. Checked the fuses and the 30a solenoid fuse (#5) was blown. . . Replaced it and she started up and ran normally x 10 minutes. Shut it off and did a few things off the tractor, went to restart it and everything went dead. Slow blow fuse had popped. Spent hours with the WSM troubleshooting, going through all the wiring harness, checking switches, replaced the solenoid relay, found nothing out of sorts. Checked the glow plug and key stop solenoid all looked fine.
Happened to check the wire going from the relay to the key stop solenoid and noticed something. Even though the entire wiring harness is covered in a black plastic loom, there is a 1/2" exposed area at the transition just below the fuse box that is not yet covered in the loom as i am pointing to in the picture. This exposed piece just happens to be lying near (or rather on) the hard line without apparent support as my tractor has never been to the dealer or have i touched this area during maintenance. Sure enough, it had just wore through and exposed the wire, causing the short. I resealed and supported up off the line and replaced the slow blow and we are back in business.

Just to toss it out there if this wiring harness location is the standard for others and this issue pops up.

Enjoying all the good stuff here.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users