B2650 blowing fuse for safety switches

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
Grinding setups last weekend and the tractor blew the fuse for the safety switches and the display.
I replaced the 5 amp fuse and it popped when I moved the foot pedal.
I removed the fuse and measured the resistance to ground at the fuse holer. Found it to be 5 ohms. Couple minutes later was up to 325 ohms.
That circuit feed lots of stuff.
After a couple of hours looking for mouse damage. I could not find any.
Tried it again and popped the fuse after driving it for a couple minutes.
For some reason I had a hunch the the problem was with the neutral safety switch. I jumped the switch out and used the tractor for about 45 minutes. If it stays working I will buy a new neutral safety switch.

Kind of odd that the switch will internally short to ground.

I learned a lot about the wiring of my tractor and how the wiring schematic is laid.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's not really 'odd' as the switch probably isn't a 'sealed' unit. As such it'll allow water and dirt in and over time, it'll corrode and 'short' out.
There are alternatives to those switches, one being Hall effect and other 'reed' switch. Both cost just a few pennies more but would not fail.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
My B26 just did the same thing, same 5amp fuse.

The HST safety switch had been a problem getting loose. Earlier that day the tractor stopped with my wife mowing. Checked the safety switch, still tight, operated and thought I could hear it open and break contact. Tried to start and it did. She mowed some more and stopped for break. Would not start. Jumpered switch still no start. Found the 5amp fuse blown, replaced fuse, started right up with old switch. Ordered a replacement switch $22 amazon. On my tractor that switch is hard to access.