B2400 HSD Clutch Output Shaft Seal Leak

S4HXO

Premium Member

Equipment
B2400 HSD
Jul 7, 2024
Ireland
Hi All,

long time lurker first time poster, I got this tractor about eight weeks ago and it's been quite the expensive journey already: hydraulic leak at banjo joint requiring replacement of the hydraulic oil delivery line; tach cable replacement; all fluids and filter changes - one third of the front axle fluid was water; top-link bracket mount was broken (the seller had helpfully placed the bolt into the empty hole) the reinforced top link bracket is not available in Europe so I had to make one. It also blows black smoke when under load, I'll detail that in another post. Both rear tyres punctured. He had also painted EVERYTHING, as you can see from the photo below, including dirt and dust.

Thanks mainly to advice from this website I was able to diagnose and rectify most of these issues.

So I thought I had reached a point where I had a useful tractor and spent yesterday with the flail mower in a field, very nice, unfortunately, when I parked up I noticed a leak from the propeller shaft clutch housing seal, there was some grass wrapped around this shaft, could that have worked its way in and worn the seal? It seems very exposed.

tempImageF5VFR2.jpg

It seems I'm going to have to split the tractor to fix this, is this correct? Any tips on doing this without a hoist, I have plenty of jack stands. Do I need to go to the lengths described, building a support out of plywood, by Rob Smith with his L4850 in his post here?

I terms of parts, is the oil seal, item #550 - part number 6C050-98540, all I'll need?

Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 11.21.45.png

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Last edited:

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, B21, B1750, B2400, B7200
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
The picture you posted is not the same as the diagram your looking at. The diagram is the hydrostat which is on the rear of the tractor. The part your looking for is #170 on this diagram from the clutch housing. There are 2 different seals based on your serial number. But yes you will have to split the tractor. No you don't have to build anything elaborate. Couple jacks and some jack stands will do just fine

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The oil seal you will need is #170, part number: 66363-39560.
The picture you have posted is of the hydrostat which is behind the shaft.

Attachments

S4HXO

Premium Member

Equipment
B2400 HSD
Jul 7, 2024
Ireland
Eventually had the time to get this done and it turns out it was grass that damaged the seal.

The shaft seems very exposed, driving over long grass will inevitably do this and the only way around this would be to make up a cover for the bottom section that allows access to the shaft, why would they leave it open like this?

IMG_0864.jpeg