tiller
PH auger
bushhog
box scraper w/rippers
disc
spring tooth rake
pallet forks

I've used the B21 before, but only the loader & hoe, no implements. Questions:

Does this machine have enough power for a 52-60" tiller? The track width indicated is 53", so I'd want a tiller wide enough to cover the tire tracks...

What would be a suitable size bushhog for this?

Don't want clamp on forks - is there a source for pallet fork which would replace the bucket?

Would this be a suitable machine for small acreage use? I understand there have been issues with cracked differential cases prior to s/n 63853, obviously a unit with later s/n would be preferred...

Thanks!
elixir

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I ran a 40" tiller behind my L185 without problems. It had 13 PTO hp. I'm not sure I'd want to put a 60" behind the B21, which probably has about 17 PTO hp? I think you would run a 60" bush hog fine. When you start pushing the FEL or pulling a disc or scraper you want weight and tire size. When you dig with the backhoe you want weight. You've already tried the B21 for the FEL and backhoe, and should know how it does in your situation. The other implements should do well power wise.
An L size gives you another thousand pounds and much larger tires, in addition to horse power. I'd recommend thinking bigger, if your acreage can handle it. When I bought the 185, a 245 was $400 more! I ended up spending a thousand bucks making it wider and giving it more traction - dualies! The bigger tractor had adjustable wheels, and bigger tires. When you fill the tires for more weight, the bigger tires on the L series hold more. The larger tractor picks up more before tipping over. Etc. Etc.
Actually, after learning more about the B21 it has the weight... I'd still think about tire size, and hp if you plan a lot of tilling. The B21 is a nice looking rig.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It sounds like you plan to do more tractor type work than backhoe work. A L series will offer you many more options in the field.