b-7100 HST Trans leaking through front seal

pilcher92503

Equipment
B 7100 hst
Jan 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
I have been dealing with what I thought was a Hydraulic leak. But in fact, after completely pressure washing the tractor, I found that the leak appears to be with the Input shaft. How difficult is that to reseal? Does the trans have to be removed?

Any input would be helpful

Thanks
Ed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's still a hydraulic leak, same fluid.;)
That seal just comes out the front, The tricky part is that on some you can't get the shaft out of the way without splitting it at the bell housing.

You can try and remove the Spring pin #100 and see if the connector will slide forward enough to clear for the new seal.

Attachments

pilcher92503

Equipment
B 7100 hst
Jan 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
It's still a hydraulic leak, same fluid.;)
That seal just comes out the front, The tricky part is that on some you can't get the shaft out of the way without splitting it at the bell housing.

You can try and remove the Spring pin #100 and see if the connector will slide forward enough to clear for the new seal.
Thanks Wolfman, after further investigation, I think I have a more serious problem....after scraping all the debris off that whole box, I crawled under the tractor and turned it on and found that I think someone,,,,the previous owner, got something caught between the front wheel drive shaft and the bottom of the front of the tranny box....In other words......the box where the shaft comes through to the shaft which you put the part picture up.....does that cover come off easily? There is a somewhat irregular groove between that housing and the body of the tranny which has a pinhole leak...If I could fill it with something that would stay, It might work. but that is a rube goldberg method and I should replace the cover if I can find one. Does any of the epistle make sense?

Ed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can you snap a picture of the leak?

You can't just easily pull the front cover, it gets super complicated at that point, and can get super expensive too. The cover is the HST unit and there are precision parts inside of it.

pilcher92503

Equipment
B 7100 hst
Jan 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
Ok: here are a couple of pictures.....#2 is the bottom looking at the leak...you can see it dripping.....the pix is not too good but I can't seem to get a good shot. you will see a clean spot up against the housing......and can somewhat see the groove that is there.........the leak is coming from right up against where that cover bolts into the transmission. The other picture is just for reference and is to top as you probably recognize. It started leaking must worse when I cleaned and scraped out the bottom grove. The guy I bought it from probably knew about this but was very "confused" and said he thought it was probably a hose....well it looks like I am the one who got the hose on this one! Sorry abt the lousy picture.

Ed

I took another pic in daylight.......its a bit better and you can see the drip

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It looks like the seal is just an O-ring, not to hard to change, I would also replace the shaft seal at the same time.

I would recommend that you take it somewhere like a car wash and have it steam cleaned to get all the gunk off of it, make double sure it's leaking at the seam.

pilcher92503

Equipment
B 7100 hst
Jan 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
Here in Riverside, those car washes won't let you clean engines, etc. I'll figure another way......Is that slot...the section up against the case normal? Also, where is the o ring you are referring to? At the seam where the cover is? And does that cover unbolt and move out enough to slide the o ring over it? Thanks for the help.

EB

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Plan #2 go to Home Depot, Lowes or a automotive store and get a bottle of purple cleaner, and a spray bottle. Spray it all over every thing wait about 15 min and repeat, it will take it all off.
Or go rent a pressure washer and do the same thing faster.

Yes I think that divot is normal, I think it's machined into the cover, but being cleaner will help tell.
Besides the O ring is on the inside of that cover not the outside.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think you have more problems than a O-ring?

Big Kahuna
The O ring is the only gasket/seal between those two parts, The only thing I'm worried about is if the case is cracked, that's one reason it needs to be cleaner.

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Agree with all above.

Because drip is where you see it in photo does not mean the leak is there!!

1) everything needs a thorough clean.
2) form an opinoin if the leak is drops per minute, hour, day or what.
3) trace the source up form the drop.I used tissue paper but good light and mirror could do the job.
4) faster the leak faster you will find the source.

I had a drop which was a problem and it turned out source was way up at the 3PT lift arm.

Good luck.

pilcher92503

Equipment
B 7100 hst
Jan 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
thanks for the advise....I got it clean but I will check it further. I got the seals from kabota but the old mechanic said that in order to get the cover off the charge pump I have to separate the hst from the engine. If this is true it is too much for me to tackle and would probably cost more than the tractor is worth? Any input? I still thing it is leaking at the seam of the cover

thanks

ed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have a pair of jack stands, a floor jack and a couple of 2x4 chunks, That's about all it takes to split these guys, I split both of mine,the L3450 and the B7100, only takes about 4 hours taking it slow and easy.

arijus

Equipment
Kubota B1750
Nov 9, 2014
Klaipeda, Lithuania
thanks for the advise....I got it clean but I will check it further. I got the seals from kabota but the old mechanic said that in order to get the cover off the charge pump I have to separate the hst from the engine. If this is true it is too much for me to tackle and would probably cost more than the tractor is worth? Any input? I still thing it is leaking at the seam of the cover

thanks

ed
Hi,
How you anaged finally with this repair? I have similar leak on my HST - only in location of fron wheel drive shaft area...
Regards,
Arijus