Attn. HVAC pros..........Is someone "blowing sunshine up my skirt"?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So from what I can gather there is "supposed to be" a difference between HVAC copper fittings and Plumbing copper fittings.

I was talking to the "guy at home Depot" today, and he was like "Oh NO you can't use plumbing fittings on HVAC!! It will blow up, Satan will send the Grim Reaper and basically there will be floods and famine for 100 years if you do that, cause there is a Yuge pressure difference. There is a big difference.....one is measured in OD Vs. ID and they are thicker and stronger....blah...blah ...blah...

So I decide to order "HVAC" copper fittings for my AC/furnace project.

Well when the "HVAC" fittings show up today, I was " Hmmmm......those look a lot like the "regular copper" fittings I have from Home Depot"

So I break out the calipers, walk into the basement and grab one off the shelf, and sure enough, they are identical in every way that I can tell.

So what gives??????

Is this difference a "myth" or did I get scammed?

Here are some pics for comparison.

I realize the angle difference, but other than that what is difference and how do I know?

The oxidized one is from my basement and the shiny one is from the "HVAC kit" I just ordered.

IMG_2792.jpg copy.jpg

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

Last edited:

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
All hvac fittings and or pipe should be type K. K is a thicker wall copper that is the industry standard for refrigeration. Sure you could use the thinner wall copper and it may not have an issue, until it does. Say your system is using R410a and your fan fails driving the pressure up. Do you want to trust a thinner fitting with 600+ psi. I wouldn't. Been in the industry 30+ yrs and just when you think you've seen it all, someone does something stupid.

Reactions: 3 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes there is a difference between the two.
Plumbing type L, M
HVAC Type K

The metallurgy is different between the two, K fittings are harder and have a higher working pressure rating.

FYI and as a side note:
The solder is different too.
Plumbing is low temp soft solder
HVAC is high temp, hard solder (Silver Solder), it's more of a brazing rod than a solder.

Reactions: 3 users

thebicman

Equipment
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Not to correct NIW as he is right. But most hvac joining of copper is done with silfos. Silver soldering is not usually required. I truley believe certain tasks should be left to the professionals. Hvac is one of them. If you don't have the tools and don't know what your doing then stop.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Put the torch down, bro. 😆
The metallurgy between the two is different. As is the reaction to heat. ACR copper is high purity metal. Use plumbing copper and you risk rupture of the pipe. Even if that doesn't happen, the impurities in plumbing copper may not react well to the refrigeration oil and/ or refrigerant compounds.

Reactions: 1 users

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Back in 1965 when I worked summers we used on new construction 15% silver on hi side & 95/5 solder on lo side. 15% on repairs.
i started my own company in 86 & my rule was 15% silver period
Did you reclaim the refrigerant in your old system or just dump it ? Got a vacume pump & micron guage ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is what I've used to solder copper for years. Seldom do I have a leak. I hook a washer hose to my assembly and check them with household water presser.
That solder is fine for water plumbing but this is about HVAC and that solder is not applicable!

Reactions: 1 user

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
To each his own. I use Sil-Fos15 but more importantly,purge with nitrogen while brazing. I see less than 20% technicians purging and believe that accounts for many premature system failures. Right behind no purge brazing in slipshod work is inadequate (time wise) pump down on new installations.

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
Refrigeration tubing is 'true to size' i.e. 1/2" copper refrigeration tubing is 0.500" OD.

1/2" copper pipe for 'plumbing' is .625" OD.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I truley believe certain tasks should be left to the professionals. Hvac is one of them. If you don't have the tools and don't know what your doing then stop.
I am an avid DIYer and I approve this message.

Where there is specialized knowledge required, the problem for the DIYer is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know.

This thread illustrates that.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Gentlemen, I am not just going it alone on this.

I have a retired HVAC guy coming in to help with the "technical stuff".

I am just doing the "grunt work", like setting the units in place, connecting the electrical, sheetmetal work, and stuff like that. All well within my wheelhouse.

My question was to make sure that I have the right stuff for when he gets here to help me finish up.

I ordered "HVAC fittings" but I suspect that is not what I got.

So do these "K fittings" have markings on them, and do they indeed have thicker walls?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Gentlemen, I am not just going it alone on this.

I have a retired HVAC guy coming in to help with the "technical stuff".

I am just doing the "grunt work", like setting the units in place, connecting the electrical, sheetmetal work, and stuff like that. All well within my wheelhouse.

My question was to make sure that I have the right stuff for when he gets here to help me finish up.

So do these "K fittings" have markings on them, and do they indeed have thicker walls?
If i remember the old days, L or ACR is what you want. They may be stamped or color coded. It's been a while, but I think blue is the refrigeration identifier. ACR is just cleaned and capped L copper.

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana

As noted in my post #12, measure the ID of your 3/4" fittings.

3/4" plumbing fittings will be .875".

3/4" refrigeration fittings will be .75".

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
From NIBCO's product guide-

Q: Copper tubing wall thickness is designated “K,” “L” or “M.” What are the copper fittings applicable to?
A: Copper fittings’ wall thickness is determined by standards (ASME B16.22 and MSS SP-104). These standards address minimum wall thickness (per size) for the full range of copper fittings and are not intended to match tubing wall thicknesses.

If you want fittings for refrigeration, here's a catalog for Streamline-

thebicman

Equipment
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
From your first post with you showing the two fittings, the new fitting is definetily thicker wall as per your picture. Why do you suspect its not correct?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
So shark bite fittings are out of the question???? 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users