Anyone watching soccer?

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Been watching the UEFA and COPA AMERICA championships soccer. Really enjoy it, and looking forward to the Summer Olympics.
However, I feel the “fake” and feigning pretend injuries really take away from the game! Anybody else feel the same? I realize it may be ”part of the game”, and the introduction of fairly new VAR replays also contribute, but seeing a player rolling around “in pain”, when he wasn’t even touched really takes away from the players integrity! …and is a pretty big turn off for me. Anyone else??

Reactions: 1 user

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I don't watch soccer for that exact same reason. The "diving" just ruins the game, and it gets worse year after year.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Been watching the UEFA and COPA AMERICA championships soccer. Really enjoy it, and looking forward to the Summer Olympics.
However, I feel the “fake” and feigning pretend injuries really take away from the game! Anybody else feel the same? I realize it may be ”part of the game”, and the introduction of fairly new VAR replays also contribute, but seeing a player rolling around “in pain”, when he wasn’t even touched really takes away from the players integrity! …and is a pretty big turn off for me. Anyone else??

As a men's and woman's high school soccer coach - I hate the bs, love the game, the fakeness is bad for the game!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Its called "flopping". My son in law is an avid soccer player and fan. It got him a 50% scholarship in-state. He then went on to play semi pro. We watch some pro games every so often. Both of us yell at the TV about it.
He brought up the point it is often done as a tactical advantage because it stops the play. They are taught to do it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Sorry I haven't had time, I've been watching paint dry.

Seems like a lot of NHL players these days are cross training with soccer players. Must be all the euro imports?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Been watching the UEFA and COPA AMERICA championships soccer.
I've been watching some of the games and it's good to see Spain moving on. Hopefully England can advance tomorrow.

I grew up playing football (as the rest of the world calls it), rugby and cricket. Rugby in the winter term, football in the spring and cricket and athletics in the summer. I only really enjoyed rugby and was good at it, playing for my county and then in Australia for a year after leaving secondary school.

As a young child growing up in England, we were kicking balls around from a very early age, much the same way Americans grow up throwing baseballs and shooting hoops. Britain has always had the best football league, and in my day a foreign player was Sottish, Welsh or Irish. 😂

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Its called "flopping". My son in law is an avid soccer player and fan. It got him a 50% scholarship in-state. He then went on to play semi pro. We watch some pro games every so often. Both of us yell at the TV about it.
He brought up the point it is often done as a tactical advantage because it stops the play. They are taught to do it.
It was always called "taking a dive" in my day and it was common 50 years ago. We had an expression in England that "Football was a game for gentleman played by animals, and rugby was a game for animals played by gentlemen". I've only been to a few professional football games but many professional rugby games. The latter is definitely the better experience.

Too bad they didn't have instant replay when Diego Maradona used his hand to score the goal against England that knocked them out of the 1986 World Cup. The Argentinians loved it of course, in part because they felt it was justice for the Falkland Islands.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
No soccer....
But for years I've watched the TourDeFrance....I always look forward to it.
Lots of strategies and of course crashes...
Then two yrs ago they brought the long talked about TourDeFemme to life..
Eight days I believe. The women crash. Crash big and Crash often. It's a fantastic race to watch.
It's in August this year.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
No soccer....
But for years I've watched the TourDeFrance....I always look forward to it.
Lots of strategies and of course crashes...
Then two yrs ago they brought the long talked about TourDeFemme to life..
Eight days I believe. The women crash. Crash big and Crash often. It's a fantastic race to watch.
It's in August this year.
I will keep a watch for it, along with the Women’s Beach Volleyball!! 😂😂

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Congrats to England. Great game today. I’m not sure they were the better team against the Swiss?? But should be a good game with Spain!!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Congrats to England. Great game today. I’m not sure they were the better team against the Swiss?? But should be a good game with Spain!!
It was a good game for sure. England created quite a few chances and even had a goal disallowed for being just inches offside. Then there was the ball stopped on the line by a Dutch defender that was also mere inches away from being a goal, and of course hitting the post after beating the goalkeeper.

I don't see England having much of a chance against Spain, but the best team doesn't always win.