Anyone ever make their own small farm/duck pond?

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
Contemplating installing a small duck pond (like 10'x25'). In south eastern New Hampshire. It will be about 40 yards from a swamp that always holds water. Thinking maybe I could plumb it somehow to flush/circulate water once in a while as needed. Anyone ever done anything like this?

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I kind of did years ago, except I had a guy come in with a tracked loader to dig the hole for me. I have a spring to feed it. And that makes a difference (probably) from what you’re planning. You don’t really mention where the water is going to come from to fill the pond.

In my case, the area was a wet spot and there are springs coming up at different points on this hillside so I figured that might be a good place. And it turned out to be OK, since it’s been there now over 20 years. But as the guy was moving the Earth he said “it looks like I’m going to hit shale. we better stop now or you might have a hole that won’t hold water”. I agreed and that was the end of it.

My pond is a bit bigger than you are planning at about 50’ x 75’ but still small and basically the concerns are probably the same. But the biggest question is where is the water coming from to fill the pond and keep it full?

Not sure this reply is very helpful, but I’m sure you can do it. But you need a source of water to maintain level due to evaporation, if nothing else, and also due to some kind of minor leakage that you may experience and cannot measure or locate easily.

I’ll be interested in seeing what other replies you get to your question…

Tony Jones

Jun 18, 2024
Dallas
Contemplating installing a small duck pond (like 10'x25'). In south eastern New Hampshire. It will be about 40 yards from a swamp that always holds water. Thinking maybe I could plumb it somehow to flush/circulate water once in a while as needed. Anyone ever done anything like this?
Its a great idea and brings you closer to nature.....I think it could work when done right

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
My ponds take significant filtering because water is limited, if cleaner water is available to flush with then just the pump and power to do weekly should work, just need to dig a hole at the best location and put in appropriately sized pipe, 1" sounds ok for yours, but bigger is always better. A liner would stop most plant growth unless you desire that.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I've been thinking about doing the same. The water table is pretty high in that area.... I have a 10' deep well nearby and the water level is always 1/2 to 3/4 up the 3' plastic pipe. (crushed stone on the bottom) you can always see clear to the bottom....

Anyway I originally thought about using a liner... but I fear I'm gonna start hitting water anyway.... so the plan is to start digging and see how it goes.....

This will be a small backyard water feature pond ..... maybe 10'x10' ... As deep as I can go with the BX hoe
I do have some clay soil I can use for the bottom..... But with as much ground water as I have I think it will be fine.....

I will use some kind of pump/filtration with a hose over to a waterfall on the opposite end.....
to keep the water circulating..... perhaps a small aerator or fountain.... to help.

might start digging today.... if I can get my azz movin.... :LOL:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with....

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I dug a small wild life pond about the size your contemplating. 30' x 45'.

My soil is very sandy and would not have held water without bringing in 2600 pounds of sodium bentonite pellets to line it after digging with my L2501 bucket and box blade.

I also "plumbed" in about 300 foot of 4 inch black plastic drain pipe that collects rain water from my 24 x 27 foot salt box style tractor shed.

I get very little run off due to the very sandy soil so this pond relies strictly on rain water and water diverted from the tractor shed. The math shows I add about 425 gallons of water for every inch of rain fall from the roof of the tractor shed.

Even with our drought in 2022 and severe drought in 2023 the pond has never dried up and normally the water level is closer to "full pool" than not.

Building this small wild life pond on my property has given me tons of enjoyment and hours of trail cam videos. It was one of the most satisfying projects I have taken on. The pond started attracting wildlife long before it was filled.

Good luck with your project and I think you will enjoy as much as I do mine!

DSC0E0173.JPG

DSC02444.jpeg

DSC02094.JPG

DSC02097.JPG

DSC02765.JPG

DSC02822.JPG

IMG_8004.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Great post - I have been contemplating this for a while and have the spot that is a seasonal wetland and occasional "pond".

I am on a ridge and this area is a natural basin at the valley floor level that collects storm surge and only drains out one way. I have cleared out all the junk, deadfall and actually dug a 4' test hole during a dry spell a couple years ago. There are a few seasonal springs above, but none steady flowing year round

I'm thinking roughly 30x60 or so with a deep area that I know would eventually silt in a bit. My issue is I need to get it done in one dry window as a big storm would get me VERY stuck.