Anyone ever have a trailer with metal grating for a deck?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ve replaced all wood-plank decks on my 3 utility trailers with 8” C-purlins. Very good experience with that repair and not as slippery as some folks think.

One could always lay expanded metal over the metal floor…even tack-weld it down if desired.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I have a TSC 4x6' mesh floored trailer I turned into my fuel trailer: 105 gallon diesel tank in front; 50 gallon gas tank behind it:

Molly photobombing my pic:

RIP Molly!!! :(

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I can chime in on this. I had a 12ft trailer with that type of flooring. By the time I got it, it was nearly 30 years old. Owned by a neighbor, then my dad, then me so I know the entire history of it. I only sold it because it was too small and I regret it every day.

Best trailer I ever had and would kill to find a company making a 18ft+ bumper pull like it. Used it to haul atvs, furniture, much, everything. Always stored out doors. Used and abused with virtually zero maintenance. Even pulled in iowa winters. The floor was perfect imo for trailers. Throw a tarp down and the grates were just close enough to support hauling mulch and rock. Had the best traction of any trailer I've had in winter. The snow and slush just falls through the grates and being a black trailer you just park it in the sun and use a broom to keep it clean in winter. Salt never really was an issue because the slats were so thick.

The only complaint I could really say about it is repainting is a huge pain. You would either have to clean every slot with a wire tooth brush or just paint over any rust or dirt.

Really the only reason I can think of that every trailer isn't made like that is weight?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
gee you'ld think the 'greenies' would be screaming about the amount of salt being used.....
I Know 'they' FINALLY figured out why a couple lakes died up here. seems if you keep dumping enought truckloads of salty snow into them,oopsy,.. the lake 'dies'.
Almost all greenies only scream about stuff that doesn’t affect them. As long as greenies use the roads, road salt is OK. 👍

Reactions: 1 users

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Update I guess. Wanted to buy the guys trailer but he changed his mind and didn't want to separate the trailer from the excavator he was selling so that was that. Went and bought a new one from diamond c . Hydro jack, tilt trailer 20 foot. Just waiting for them to replace the deck with blackwood rubber decking. Kubota orange color was a plus. This exact trailer but a hydraulic jack

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Nice trailer. We used to run the tilt deck's from Cam-Superline at work. The guys would haul our skid steers and mini Ex's on them. Nice trailer when you take care of them, working for a public utility though, you don't always get employees that care. Interested to see the blackwood rubber decking and how it holds up!