Any grass gurus here?

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Looking for someone who knows about growing grass in a sandy environment. Have tried a few things over the years but not a whole lot of luck but small patches. Folks are stores who say they know don't know jack shit. Just looking for ideas. Figured some of you folks with tractors know more about this than most stores.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade, Homemade Carry All
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
The best thing I've seen was hydroseeding. Works in almost every environment. I have seen grass growing on a rock after one job.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
There are certain aspects of growing grass/other on sandy soil that hold true no matter where you are.

1. Sandy Soil doesn't hold water/moisture well, so a drought resistant grass is best.

2. Sandy Soil leaches out nutrients, so fertilizing periodically is a must. You can grow just about anything in Sandy Soil but you will have to 'feed' it.

3. Depending on the ratio of Sand to 'Loam' some grasses will fair better than others.

My suggestion would be to contact your local Agricultural Agent and solicit their opinion. They should know what your best bet will be in terms of hardiness for the seasonal conditions in your area.

Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I can't grow grass to save my life. Talked to my FIL who's pretty good at it. He said his trick is to set up a mist head on a programmable timer. He sets it to water the grass every 4-6 hours until it's well-established.

I just set mine up today, and I'm going to lay down some Amturf Lawn Patch stuff and give it a go.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
I agree with talking with your local Agricultural agent AND getting a soil test. Around here, sandy soil needs lots of lime.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
We grow grass on sandy soil in Texas for turf,farways,grazing and hay. The most dependable method is with sprigs for Bermuda and hybrids. Irrigating for seed results in too many weeds that must be controlled in following years.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Talk to your local county agricultural extension service agent. They will know the best grass species and establishment procedures for your area and soils.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
compost, tons of compost ! You HAVE to change the 'sandy' soil into one that has good 'tilthe'. IE dirt and other good stuff.
You don't say how big a field, but if over an acre, use a small spreader like a Millcreek unit to get great,even coverage.
surprised minny is sandy soil.

Reactions: 1 user

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Where I live, the entire area is like this. Sandy soil. 3 acres of it living area. The rest is high field grass on 7 acres. To much to sod. To much to bring in black soil but did consider that at one time. Will get ahold of the county ag folks who hopefully can guide me. Have tried those quick patch grass seeds with the blue fertilizer in it. Nada.