Another Great China Product

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I tow a fair amount with my pickup. A couple years back I had bought the $300. B&W adjustable two ball hitch thinking it was the best thing going.
But I have trouble locking my hitch onto the 2 5/16 ball. The B&W has play in several parts of the hitch so it's sloppy.
I've looked at it several times like the ball didn't sit flat, but if you picked up on the hitch it did sit flat. So I had seen in Fish and Game magazine the ad for a antiRattle thing that went in the hitch. I started looking on Amazon of course and there were several.
So I bought one to try $14. Bucks. And because the neck of the B&W it didn't fit, but just the standard slide in hitch it fit perfectly. You tighten up the antiRattle thing and there is 0 play. It's solid. So my trailer hitch drops on it because the ball now sits flat. I hauled my trailer 300 miles today.
A solid , you almost forget the trailer is there ride.
Not bang , clunk , rattle ect. Just a solid connection. For anyone that tows this is really unbelievable the difference.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I tow a fair amount with my pickup. A couple years back I had bought the $300. B&W adjustable two ball hitch thinking it was the best thing going.
But I have trouble locking my hitch onto the 2 5/16 ball. The B&W has play in several parts of the hitch so it's sloppy.
I've looked at it several times like the ball didn't sit flat, but if you picked up on the hitch it did sit flat. So I had seen in Fish and Game magazine the ad for a antiRattle thing that went in the hitch. I started looking on Amazon of course and there were several.
So I bought one to try $14. Bucks. And because the neck of the B&W it didn't fit, but just the standard slide in hitch it fit perfectly. You tighten up the antiRattle thing and there is 0 play. It's solid. So my trailer hitch drops on it because the ball now sits flat. I hauled my trailer 300 miles today.
Not bang , clunk , rattle ect. Just a solid connection. For anyone that tows this is really unbelievable the difference.
THAT is a GREAT little gadget!
I have had one for several years.
Absolute silence!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I bought a very nice aluminum carry all for the back of my Jeep to place gas tanks on. It is a typical 2" hitch and when you load it, it will rock side to side.

I saw the hitch tightener on Amazon and jumped on it about 3 months ago.

I have not used it yet - but it and the appropriate wrench sits in the rear of the jeep LOOKING for warm weather!!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
That little thing has saved me so many wasted hours of my life 😂

“I just bought this damn truck, it rattles like hell when I drive it”

you ever think about taking that hitch out when you ain’t using it.

“naw, that hitch been rusted into my old truck for years, never made a sound.”

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
B&W offers three different ball-configurations. 1-7/8” with 2” ball….. 1-7/8 w 2” w 2/5/8”…..and 2” w 2-5/8”..

Are you certain your ball configuration contains a 2-5/8” ball? (I have two friends who did not realize they only had the first configuration, in which the largest ball is only 2”.)

I have the 3-ball configuration and it does not “rattle” or ”clunk”.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have three B&W turnover hitches and they're great. 2", 2-1/2" and 3" variants and I tow a lot too but have no problem with any of the things you struggle with. Maybe it's because the receivers on my Jeep, F250 and custom one I made for the M1078 are good quality. Blaming B&W who is making the hitch tube to industry standards i.e. 2", 2-1/2" and 3" seems premature.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was going to suggest if B&W doesn't fit correctly a Chinese mfg surely has one! If B&W is mis-manfuctured contact them. They'll make it right.

In case you don't know B&W is made in Humboldt, Ks.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
They should come WITH a wrench chained to them as it looks like you have to undo the nuts to change sleeves ?

Rattle probably comes from sliding a Metric 2" sleeve(1.96 aka 50mm) into a real 2" recvr ?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep… the RECEIVER might be made in Guanzou…. but the B&W is MADE IN THE U.S.A.!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
well something's 'wrong' dimensionally speaking, sleeve should slide in 'silky smooth' into the receiver IF the correct tubing is used.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Maybe he needs to live at the end of a mile of dirt road like me….. My receiver combo is full of road-dust and couldn’t rattle if an oilfield was Fracked!

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Maybe he needs to live at the end of a mile of dirt road like me….. My receiver combo is full of road-dust and couldn’t rattle if an oilfield was Fracked!
Same here. I am GRATEFUL that B&W allowed a little 'clearance' to account for such things.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I used to drill a 1" hole and weld a 3/4" nut over it to create a hitch lock every time I got a new to me RV or tow vehicle, never again, great for bike racks, to firm hitch, I bought 6 of them. No more welding burns on my arms.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I have one of those. Somewhere. Bought it years ago but I am usually in too much of a rush to put it on!

It's Dumb, I know. But my hitch pin hole on my Super Duty is getting to be oblong now. I do recommend it but the extra few minutes of putting it on usually makes me late. I don't know why but every time I hook up a trailer, whether it be flat bed, RV, or utility trailer, it always seems like I am behind schedule and no time for looking for the little stuff. And then find a wrench for it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Go measure the solid bar stock or tube that fits into the receiver on any B&W hitch and you'll find that they are 2", 2-1/2" or 3" depending on model and they hold those dimensions well. Now go and measure receivers on vehicles, or the pin that holds the hitch in the receiver, or the hole in the receiver that accepts the pin and get back to me. You think the Chinese know shit about towing or even understand what's important when it comes to designing and manufacturing receivers? Should it be a surprise that a cheap receiver can result in a lot of play of the hitch when installed?

And then there's the issue of clearance. A manufacturer gets clever and decides to tighten up the receiver tube dimensions and now customers are complaining because their favorite hitch either won't fit in or won't come out. But no worries, Amazon to the rescue.

I use anti seize and/or grease on various parts of the receiver, hitch and pins, and despite living in a state that liberally salts the roads have had zero issues.

Brands that work for me include B&W and Demco. I tow a lot of weight many hundreds of miles each year without any issues.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Do you have any suggestions on how to get the hitch out of the receiver if it has rusted in place? I have tried penetrating oils, and hammering on it to no avail. I would put heat on it, but it is right next to the fuel tank with gasoline in it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Tie a chain between the ball and the trailer…. place a heavy tarp on the chain…. (and over the rear window of the tow-vehicle)…. HIT THE GAS!