Alternator/Regulator fixed and not boiling my battery anymore

KennyMillar

Equipment
L1500DT Tractor with Loader
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Some time ago (year, maybe two!) I replaced the alternator on my L1500DT (very similar to L175) because it was not charging the battery, and there was zilch coming out of the B terminal even with the field voltage present.

However after replacing it the new alternator was boiling (and killing) batteries. It was pumping out over 18V just at idle! So I figured the regulator was knackered. You can still get a regulator for these machines, but they are over $110 plus shipping...

Anyway... time passed and other things were wrong with the tractor. The wiring is so old and brittle that it just falls apart when you touch it. I decided to re-wire the whole thing.

I found a WSM online, with a wiring diagram. I took the wiring diagram and re-drew it to amke it a bit clearer for me to follow and started stripping out the existing wiring.

When I removed the dash cowl it was a mess under there! Most of the wires were broken and corroded, and the regulator looked beyond repair - rusty and mucky and corroded. Anyway I stripped it out had a look inside. It had been half full of water at some point, with the rust line clearly visible. (Sorry I didn't think to take e pic). With nothing to lose I chucked it into my ultrasonic cleaner and to my surprise it cleaned up really well. I gave the contacts a good clean with switch cleaner too.
The WSM has a full test procedure for the regulator, so I followed it and the thing is actually working well!
So I marked all the terminals as per the wiring diagram.
IMG_5509.jpeg

(Note I have transposed F and IG terminals... I fix this later)

So I replaced all the wires with new wires (not using the same colours).
IMG_5510.jpeg

And then potted it to keep water away from the terminals in future.
IMG_5511 2.jpeg

And just for completeness here's my re-drawn wiring diagram - again not a professional job, but enough to kleep me right!
L175 Schematic.png

Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice ? no, a GREAT job !!!!
Always impressed by those that RESTORE 'old stuff',or at least make the effort to, in our 'use once,dispose of it' society.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah...too few pix..... I had ONE of 90 film pix that kinda ,sorta, showed the 'configuration of stuff' on a rebuild 3 decades ago. When digicams came out, I got into the habit of taking LOTS of pix from all angles. Sure 99.44% of them are useless BUT sometimes having just THE one picture can save you HOURS if not DAZE of cornfusion !

Reactions: 1 user