Adjusting B2301 telescoping stabilizer arms

k9mayak

Equipment
B2301, Land Pride Land Plane/Grader, rotary cutter, scrape blade
Jul 15, 2024
Athens, Georgia
Just purchased a B2301. Last tractor I operated was years ago and did not have telescoping stabilizer arms. When I put my 5 foot land plane on, I couldn't get the stabilizer arms the same length(one pin hole difference) which caused the land plane to be slightly closer to the right side tire. Is this normal? Admittedly it was hot, I was tired and didn't want to fiddle with it any more. It is making think I need to buy a quick hitch but not sure which one yet.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
There should be some slack in the system. You would be better off loosen the tight side by one hole to make both somewhat loose. Just make sure it can not hit the tire.

If your implements are new-ish quick hitch is nice to have. If you have old non-standard 3 point equipment, like I do, it wasn;t worth it to me.

Reactions: 1 user

k9mayak

Equipment
Jul 15, 2024
Athens, Georgia
There should be some slack in the system. You would be better off loosen the tight side by one hole to make both somewhat loose. Just make sure it can not hit the tire.

If your implements are new-ish quick hitch is nice to have. If you have old non-standard 3 point equipment, like I do, it wasn;t worth it to me.
Thanks. The land plane and rotary cutter are both Land Pride and do say quick hitch compatible.

The scrape blade is a cub cadet and came with the tractor when I bought it (used). I did notice that when I bought the scrape blade, it was already attached and there was one pin hole difference from the left and right arms.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
It's mathematics. There is a range of adjustment for each stabilizer- typically, holes line up (to pin the stabilizer) from 3/16" to 1/2", depending on the manufacturer. Implement frames can vary in width, so once the lift arms are attached to the implement, it's possible that the implement can be centered in reference to the tractor, or it can be to the left or right, if the width of the implement isn't divided evenly with the combined adjustment of the stabilizers.
I build telescoping stabilizers for a living, and this has been my recommendation to customers- it isn't operationally necessary for the implement to be perfectly centered, unless the tire implement isn't covering the track of the tire or if there is interference between the stabilizer and the tire. In most cases, it's OCD, not a physical problem.
I would suggest this procedure- there is a loose way to pin the stabilizers, and a snug way. If you install an implement and pin the stabilizers as it sits, there can still be an inch or more of side to side play. I recommend that you practice this- once the implement is installed, raise it up enough to move it side to side. Position the implement where you want it, and pin one side. Then, push the implement to one side or another (preference) until the pinned side is tightened up, and pin the other side. This will reduce the sway to the minimum amount.

k9mayak

Equipment
Jul 15, 2024
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to the forum!
It's mathematics. There is a range of adjustment for each stabilizer- typically, holes line up (to pin the stabilizer) from 3/16" to 1/2", depending on the manufacturer. Implement frames can vary in width, so once the lift arms are attached to the implement, it's possible that the implement can be centered in reference to the tractor, or it can be to the left or right, if the width of the implement isn't divided evenly with the combined adjustment of the stabilizers.
I build telescoping stabilizers for a living, and this has been my recommendation to customers- it isn't operationally necessary for the implement to be perfectly centered, unless the tire implement isn't covering the track of the tire or if there is interference between the stabilizer and the tire. In most cases, it's OCD, not a physical problem.
I would suggest this procedure- there is a loose way to pin the stabilizers, and a snug way. If you install an implement and pin the stabilizers as it sits, there can still be an inch or more of side to side play. I recommend that you practice this- once the implement is installed, raise it up enough to move it side to side. Position the implement where you want it, and pin one side. Then, push the implement to one side or another (preference) until the pinned side is tightened up, and pin the other side. This will reduce the sway to the minimum amount.
I agree that it's probably a little OCD of me. Your explanation helps me understand. I just noticed that with the one hole difference, the land plane was slightly at an angle to the tractor making think it may not distribute the gravel/material appropriately.

Thank you. I will play around with it when I know I have a little more patience and I am not sweltering in the Georgia steam.