Adding control valve for grapple cylinder

Gp10trainman

Equipment
Kubota B21 commercial, TL 421 loader, BT751 backhoe
Jun 27, 2024
Blue Ridge, GA
I have a B21 commercial TL421 loader, BT751 backhoe. I want to add a FEL grapple with a valve control mounted on the ROPS cross bar. The FEL control valve looks to have a Power Beyond off the rear marked with green paint that goes to the backhoe. The pressure input and tank return to the FEL valve are steel. I think I can disconnect the PB from the FEL and attach to the single lever valve for the grapple and attach the PB back to the backhoe. The problem I see is that the return to tank from the FEL lever is steel. How does one install a T in a steel return line without removing it, cutting it, and having someone weld a new end on the steel line. The backhoe has a hose return, but its a ways back to it. Is that an option for the return. Or am I looking at this totally wrong. Thanks, Hydraulically lost.
FEL controller20240620.jpg

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have a B21 commercial TL421 loader, BT751 backhoe. I want to add a FEL grapple with a valve control mounted on the ROPS cross bar. The FEL control valve looks to have a Power Beyond off the rear marked with green paint that goes to the backhoe. The pressure input and tank return to the FEL valve are steel. I think I can disconnect the PB from the FEL and attach to the single lever valve for the grapple and attach the PB back to the backhoe. The problem I see is that the return to tank from the FEL lever is steel. How does one install a T in a steel return line without removing it, cutting it, and having someone weld a new end on the steel line. The backhoe has a hose return, but its a ways back to it. Is that an option for the return. Or am I looking at this totally wrong. Thanks, Hydraulically lost. View attachment 131594
First, I'd like to make a recommendation. You refer to your new 3rd function valve as single lever, so I assume you're planning on using a manual valve. I'd suggest using a solenoid valve with a button on the loader stick, for two reasons.

First, a couple of years ago, I installed a manual third function on my L35. There's a thread on here somewhere on how I did it. Recently I bought a grapple and started using it. It made a clean install and works fine, but having to trade sticks with one hand is kinda inconvenient. Just pushing a button located on the loader knob would be more convenient. Most kits use the solenoid.

Second, the plumbing would be easier. The solenoid valves don't require a tank connection, you would route the line from your loader power beyond to the new valve and from the new valve outlet to the backhoe (where the power beyond line goes now).

You can cut and connect to your steel lines with hydraulic compression fittings. They are available from most places that sell hydraulic hoses etc. in numerous configurations to adapt to hoses.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You can cut and connect to your steel lines with hydraulic compression fittings. They are available from most places that sell hydraulic hoses etc. in numerous configurations to adapt to hoses.
Be careful Those lines may be metric.....

If you need a return I would use the backhoe hose.

Dan

Gp10trainman

Equipment
Jun 27, 2024
Blue Ridge, GA
First, I'd like to make a recommendation. You refer to your new 3rd function valve as single lever, so I assume you're planning on using a manual valve. I'd suggest using a solenoid valve with a button on the loader stick, for two reasons.

First, a couple of years ago, I installed a manual third function on my L35. There's a thread on here somewhere on how I did it. Recently I bought a grapple and started using it. It made a clean install and works fine, but having to trade sticks with one hand is kinda inconvenient. Just pushing a button located on the loader knob would be more convenient. Most kits use the solenoid.

Second, the plumbing would be easier. The solenoid valves don't require a tank connection, you would route the line from your loader power beyond to the new valve and from the new valve outlet to the backhoe (where the power beyond line goes now).

Thanks for the info. I had looked at the 3rd function solenoid, but thought they had to have a tank return also. If not, then it is a lot simpler. The PB on the FEL has a flex hose before it goes to steel headed to the BH, so its just a matter of routing that hose. Any particular brand you can suggest for the 3rd function valve and if you come across that thread, please let me know.

Gp10trainman

Equipment
Jun 27, 2024
Blue Ridge, GA
Thanks for the info. I had looked at the 3rd function solenoid, but thought they had to have a tank return also. If not, then it is a lot simpler. The PB on the FEL has a flex hose before it goes to steel headed to the BH, so its just a matter of routing that hose. Any particular brand you can suggest for the 3rd function valve and if you come across that thread, please let me know.
Be careful Those lines may be metric.....

If you need a return I would use the backhoe hose.

Dan
Thanks Dan, maybe I won't have to go that route.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
They all use basically the same components - let your wallet be your guide. Those joystick buttons wind up costing.you $200 no matter who you choose !!!

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
. . . if you come across that thread, please let me know.
Here's a link to my project: