AC issue

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
Today my 3430 started "yelping" every 15-20 seconds or so, I opened the hood and saw where it was coming from. The AC was on low and it looks like to me that the compressor was binding up for about one second causing the belt to yelp. I only watched it do it twice before turning the AC off.
Could it be bad bearing (s) in the compressor?
Any help would be great!

2006 3430
1350 hours
in good shape over all

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Did it only make the noise when the compressor was engauged? If so, needs a compressor. If it does it all the time, then you might get away with a new clutch and bearing assembly.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Try raising the RPMs and see if it still does yelp. If so, it is the compressor, if it doesn't, the engine wasn't turning fast enough to overcome the pressures in the a/c compressor.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
probably compressor failing. When they fail, they dump metal dust through the entire system. At the very least, it's gonna need a GOOD flushing of every single component. Possibly replacement of the components. Reason being, if you just let it go-with "black death" still in the system, that "stuff" can get into the new compressor and destroy it too. And repeat again until the system is completely clean. Compressors aren't cheap either.

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
Try raising the RPMs and see if it still does yelp. If so, it is the compressor, if it doesn't, the engine wasn't turning fast enough to overcome the pressures in the a/c compressor.
Ah-ha, it was idling. Thanks, I' keep my fingers crossed.

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
probably compressor failing. When they fail, they dump metal dust through the entire system. At the very least, it's gonna need a GOOD flushing of every single component. Possibly replacement of the components. Reason being, if you just let it go-with "black death" still in the system, that "stuff" can get into the new compressor and destroy it too. And repeat again until the system is completely clean. Compressors aren't cheap either.
Thanks, jeeze, I hope it was idling too slow to drive the compressor.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I've never seen an AC system that wasn't designed to run at idle. If it runs "fine" at higher RPMs you're just masking the problem and making it worse.

Gauges aren't going to do you any good in this instance either. If the refrigerant is low it won't cool as well or won't run at all (safety switch).

Sounds like you have a bad compressor.

The system is usually set up
compressor
lines
condenser
lines
drier
lines
evaporator
lines

The drier SHOULD catch the debris from the compressor if there is any. I would replace that when you replace the compressor regardless. The problem is going to be your condenser.
You can flush out lines, you can't effectively flush a condenser.

You can roll the dice and replace just the compressor and drier, especially if it just started (check inside the lines when you remove them, if there's debris replace the condenser too).
Even if a small amount of debris is in the condenser, it should be caught by the drier.
Or you can replace compressor, condenser, and drier.

• Love

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Today my 3430 started "yelping" every 15-20 seconds or so, I opened the hood and saw where it was coming from. The AC was on low and it looks like to me that the compressor was binding up for about one second causing the belt to yelp. I only watched it do it twice before turning the AC off.
Any help would be great!

2006 3430
1350 hours
in good shape over all
Read @lugbolt 's post but firs of all make certain it is not just loose belt.

btcfarmer

Equipment
Kubota M7040, Kubota SVL 95-2S, Volvo EC290B
Apr 9, 2024
Central Florida
Any help would be great!

2006 3430
1350 hours
in good shape over all

I have recently gone through a journey with the AC in my m7040, and it sounds like your issue might be similar to mine. Check this thread out about it: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/m7040-ac-works-but-blows-hot-after-a-while.68299/

Long story short: my compressor was bad. I ended up taking entire system apart, replaced compressor, drier, expansion valve and evap. Flushed condenser and hoses and added new compressor.

If you are going to do what I did you will need to buy gauges, vacuum pump and a nitro adapter.