800hr service question..aerated oil

Sberti

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 23, 2018
Southeast USA
I did the 800hr service this weekend and figured I’d buy the 5gal buckets of UDT2 to save a little. Then I thought I’d be clever and use my electric oil transfer pump to move the oil from the buckets and into the tractor reservoir. Well it aerated the oil a bunch. I let the tractor sit for a couple days thinking it would allow the tiny air bubbles to eventually work out. What’s everyone’s thoughts here? Just leave it and keep running? Or did I ruin the oil and need to change it now?

it should be said that I did a test with some of the leftover oil and used the same transfer pump into a clear glass. The air in that oil worked its way out in half a day.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I did the 800hr service this weekend and figured I’d buy the 5gal buckets of UDT2 to save a little. Then I thought I’d be clever and use my electric oil transfer pump to move the oil from the buckets and into the tractor reservoir. Well it aerated the oil a bunch. I let the tractor sit for a couple days thinking it would allow the tiny air bubbles to eventually work out. What’s everyone’s thoughts here? Just leave it and keep running? Or did I ruin the oil and need to change it now?

it should be said that I did a test with some of the leftover oil and used the same transfer pump into a clear glass. The air in that oil worked its way out in half a day.
Worry about something that matters.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The air WILL work it's way out ........ over time. Much like water will find it's way to the bottom of diesel over time ;)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Tractor hydraulic oil is being continuously pumped through the system and air bubbles are an unavoidable fact of life.

The oil is formulated to deal with it. The following provided courtesy of Lubrizol.

Dan

Antifoams
Excessive hydraulic fluid foaming, or the presence of many air bubbles at the fluid surface, can cause problems such as fluid life shortened by increased oxidation, poor lubrication of the equipment, increased fluid compressibility, noise and entrainment of air, which can further lead to cavitation damage to the equipment. Formulators prevent these problems by use of antifoam agents. Antifoams work by destabilizing the air-fluid interfaces of air bubbles, which collapses the air bubbles. The mechanism is thought to involve the antifoam bridging the air-fluid film interface and then film rupture and collapse of the air bubble by dewetting or by stretching and thinning of the bridge (Reference 1). Antifoams are typically effective at treat rates < 100 mg/kg.

Several classes of polymers are effective antifoams. In many lubricants applications polysiloxane polymers are the antifoam of choice. In hydraulic fluids, alkyl acrylate polymers are preferred because they have less negative impact on air entrainment properties in comparison to polysiloxanes, although their antifoam properties may be weaker. Furthermore, some hydraulic applications have incompatibilities with polysiloxanes.