3 Point Hitch with Dual Cylinders

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
@Henro put in four remotes and two cylinders for his Top & Tilt, I'm thinking of two remotes and three cylinders...

Having a tiny BX the Summit "tilt" cylinder has 2" of travel total, 13" to 15". Can I add a second cylinder on the other side and plumb:
  1. tilt_valve A to cylinder #1 A
  2. cylinder #1 B to cylinder #2 A
  3. cylinder #2 B to tilt_valve B
My thought is as one side tilts up the other would tilt down.

The other option might be to:
put a tee on tilt_valve A
plumb tilt_valve A to cylinder #1 A and cylinder #2 B
plumb cylinder #1 B and cylinder #2 A to a tee on tilt_valve B

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
@Henro put in four remotes and two cylinders for his Top & Tilt, I'm thinking of two remotes and three cylinders...

Having a tiny BX the Summit "tilt" cylinder has 2" of travel total, 13" to 15". Can I add a second cylinder on the other side and plumb:

The tilt cylinders would need to be a left and a right because of the ports. I doubt that Summit is going to build the left side for you. I am curious as to whether the Summit cylinder is recommended to be fully retracted to have the implement level side-side. To match factory specs, it would need to be fully retracted at the 13" dimension, so you are only going to get downward tilt.

This can be built using a 3" stroke and get a 13"-16" range, but I guess Summit doesn't use odd-number stroke lengths.
While that is only another inch, it is 50% more tilt capability than what they provide.

Keep in mind that the implements do not get raised all that high, and having the hitch lower than OEM when level side-side may be an issue for you. :unsure:
So plumbing 2 cylinders together and using a single valve for control might be an issue for height.
Add a 3rd valve and plumb the side links separately if you can get a left-side, side link.

Good luck with the project. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

You don't want what's behind door #2, that would put them in parallel and you wouldn't have tilt control. The side with the most weight would sink, I think, I haven't thought it out completely.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Go 'all-in'....
left valve for left cylinder on left arm
right valve on right cylinder on right arm

arrange valves as left arm-top link-right arm to avoid cornfusion.....

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
It is common with a 3 valve set for this type of application to use the left control for the left side link, the center control for the top link and the right control for the right side link.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I didn’t need left and right cylinders due to hose connections. Both are identical as far as hose connections go.. I did fabricate the end of the cylinders myself though. I used 4 inch cylinders in my application, but the tractor is larger than my BX. It was done on my B2910.

Actually, I guess the cylinders are different!. More like mirror images of each other due to the angles involved left to right. So if you were trying to use a standard cylinder designed for one side on the other side, you would have to rotate it 180° and that would push the hose connections to the side opposite the other cylinder.

IMG_0009.jpeg

Following picture shows maximum tilt I can get if I put one side. In float, since I have one control valve section with float, and position the other cylinder at mid point. I get about half of the tilt shown, essentially due to the float nature of the three-point hitch and the float section in the control valve. So I get half the amount of tilt shown on either side, which allows the implement to tilt either left or right if I’m trying to do something I want to follow contour of the land.

IMG_0008.jpeg

I think the same approach would likely work with the BX.

Edited to separate two sentences that were combined into one.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Do you want left and right cylinders to move in opposite directuons when you operate a single valve? You can do that by connecting them in series but they will not move the same amount and leveling would be an interesting exercise

Henros arrangement with two cylinders and two valves gives you better control over the tilt angle. Adding spools is cheap and that would be my suggestion.

Dan

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Henro's setup will have more downforce than lift, though probably not an issue.
Reminds me of a Belarus(Russian ) tractor that has downpressure on 3PH, makes it easy to change rear tires

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Henro's setup will have more downforce than lift, though probably not an issue.
Reminds me of a Belarus(Russian ) tractor that has downpressure on 3PH, makes it easy to change rear tires
He gets no down force because the rock shaft arms still float upwards.

Dan