2015 BX2200D with 3709 hours

Batya8

Equipment
2015 BX2200D
Jul 8, 2024
St Louis, MO
Are those high hours for it's age and would it be worth $5500.00
This is the sellers description// "Kubota bx2200 4wd. 65 inch Deck was just rebuilt new bearings, blades and belts. New starter installed. All fluids flushed and changed. Tires like new. Complete enclosed add on cab included. Has had front and rear ward facing led lights added. Will be installing new battery. Runs and cuts perfectly. 3709hrs. Everything was done this spring. We have taken very good care of this using it to mow 3 acres around the house.'
I am new to the orange machine but need a unit to manage my mini 20 acre farm. Something easy to handle and get in and out of since I am so short.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Batya8,

Welcome to the forum,

Those hours are up there - BUT if taken care of and fluids changed as they should, it will run longer!

One error in this person's description -no such thing as a 65" mower, it is a 60" MMM.

IF I was to buy this - first thing I would want to do is start it cold! Cold start up will tell a lot about the shape of the engine. Does is smoke a bit once running, does it need a lot of spin time to get started? Does it smoke a lot after running for 10 seconds?

I think for the money on this primary grass cutter - you might be able to find one that has far less hours and around the price.

Does the cab interest you ? Is this a must have?

You want something for your mini 20 acre farm - this machine does not have a FEL, front end loader, so all you really are buying is a grass cutter.

Despite the rebuild on the machine - might be wise to look for something else.

IF cutting grass is your primary concern - would a zero turn do it? No 3 point but a faster cutting machine.

Reactions: 1 user

Batya8

Equipment
2015 BX2200D
Jul 8, 2024
St Louis, MO
Good morning and Thank you for the welcome!

I appreciate your comments. I didn't consider the fact that it will primarily be used to brush/grass cut the rows between elderberry and fruit trees for now.
I currently have a skit loader so that's not a must but would like to sell it and just keep a tractor that I can handle.

The hours concerned me for the price, thought maybe offering a little less.

I would like to add a few attachments in the future like a post hole digger and rotary tiller. Are those available for that size tractor?

The cab is a must, I can't handle the heat as well as I used to and would really like a cover over me to keep cool.

What do you think?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Where did the 2015 date come from in the thread title? My BX2200D was purchased new in 2003.

I suppose the one for sale could be a 2005 model...

Edit: A post hole digger on a BX requires a shorter auger than normal because the BX does not have a lot of three-point hitch lift.

Batya8

Equipment
2015 BX2200D
Jul 8, 2024
St Louis, MO
I asked the person selling it and was told it was a 2015.
The serial number is 56598 but I can't find any data to support the model/manufacture date/serial number to confirm it.
What do you think? thanks

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Get a picture of the VIN and the model label on the tractor if you can. That is the best way to know its vintage. The cab will keep the sun off of you but nothing more. In the summer, you will need to remove all the curtains to stay cooler than if they were on. Do you have any pictures of the machine? Even a picture will help to determine the value.
I sold my BX22 tractor, loader, backhoe, snowblower, sweeper, 60" plow with a Curtis Cab in 2020 for $13500 when I purchased my BX23S. It had 800 hours on it and engine oil was changed every 50 hours and the machine greased and serviced according to the Kubota recommendations.
I would check with a local Kubota dealer and see how much a new machine will cost you. Since you are using this in an agriculture situation you can depreciate the machine on your tax return. Kubota also has an additional discount for membership in a "horse" organization. You can also check prices on the Kubota build a tractor website. I just priced out a new BX2680Vi with a 60" mower deck, with a loader valve (the only way it is sold according the the website) for Estimated Net Price $18,444. You can purchase a sun shade for under $600 for the tractor or buy one of the economy cabs made by Curtis Cab and sold by the Kubota dealers, if you feal that it is necessary for you. I would think that a cab might be a problem in an orchard.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Good morning and Thank you for the welcome!

I appreciate your comments. I didn't consider the fact that it will primarily be used to brush/grass cut the rows between elderberry and fruit trees for now.
I currently have a skit loader so that's not a must but would like to sell it and just keep a tractor that I can handle.

The hours concerned me for the price, thought maybe offering a little less.

I would like to add a few attachments in the future like a post hole digger and rotary tiller. Are those available for that size tractor?

The cab is a must, I can't handle the heat as well as I used to and would really like a cover over me to keep cool.

What do you think?
As Henro pointed out, a BX is less than optimal for a 3pt post hole digger. And if you have future need of a front loader, buy a tractor with one already installed. Finding a used loader is often difficult. If that cab isn't air conditioned it's going to be hot. You might be better off with a canopy, which can be added relatively easily.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard! I'd hold out for something with fewer hours.

I had a heat-only cab on the last tractor. With doors off and a small fan it was definitely better than my open station tractors.

It sounds a little undersized for your intended uses.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I agree with others. Main barriers are:
  • high hours. Not totally unreasonable, but it's high
  • no loader
  • BX not really suitable for a post hole borer. It can be done, but a B size machine would be better
  • something's wrong with the listing, in that a BX2200 was out of production by 2015, it was made earlier
Too many red flags for my liking, if it were me. Loader is the biggest problem, they're quite hard to find to add afterwards (quite hard meaning basically impossible).

Reactions: 1 users