2004 Kubota B2710 HST Failure

Pete F

Equipment
Kubota B2710
Jul 23, 2024
North Atlanta
Thanks for taking a look at this. Here are the facts point by point

Tractor has about 400 hours.

It has new Kubota transmission fluid. I did previously put another brand in and that may be the cause of the problem. If I were to drain the transmission fluid out of the tractor when its hot, its cloudy. It then clarifies when it cools. Is that normal? I have cleaned the metal filters on either side of the rear of the transmission. there was a little bit of shavings in them

When the problem began, the tractor would lose power going forward or backward as the tractor warmed up. The problem got progressively worse and now it wont move at all.

The hydraulics all work fine, front end loader, pto. etc I assume that means the charge pump is fine. Am I correct? We checked the charge pump pressure and it was near good.

When put in gear, it whines and you can hear grinding seemingly from directly behind the charge pump.

In recent reading on this platform, in similar cases, "valve plate slipper failure" has been mentioned as well as "variable - speed reversing coupling" .

Im hoping we can fix this ourselves but if not, I at least want to know what the issue is before we take it in. I want to avoid a costly fishing expedition or worse.

And lastly, do you know someone in the Atlanta area who truly understands the HST and who I can trust.

Thanks again for your time in reviewing.

Pete

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Pete - I’m not much help, but do you recall what fluid was used before?

Was it a 303 fluid in a 5 gallon pail, automatic transmission fluid, or another brand/formulation you recall, like John Deere Low Vis Hydro as an example?

Not being critical. Just the fluid used in it before might help diagnose the current problem(s).

The HST systems are of particular concern relative to fluid choice. Geared or glide shift transmission not so much.

What I’ve learned here on OTT is that while there is no direct replacement for Kubota’s UDT or SUDT2, some products are much better than others as a substitute.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pete F

Equipment
Kubota B2710
Jul 23, 2024
North Atlanta
Pete - I’m not much help, but do you recall what fluid was used before?

Was it a 303 fluid in a 5 gallon pail, automatic transmission fluid, or another brand/formulation you recall, like John Deere Low Vis Hydro as an example?

Not being critical. Just the fluid used in it before might help diagnose the current problem(s).

The HST systems are of particular concern relative to fluid choice. Geared or glide shift transmission not so much.

What I’ve learned here on OTT is that while there is no direct replacement for Kubota’s UDT or SUDT2, some products are much better than others as a substitute.
Thanks, The only thing I know is it was a transmission fluid from an auto parts store. It ran for quite some time after that.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks, The only thing I know is it was a transmission fluid from an auto parts store. It ran for quite some time after that.
Pete - thanks.

Trust me, I’m no expert and I doubt anyone can definitively say your problem is due to a particular fluid choice. Intuition tells me ATF is not the best choice, but there’s worst choices too. Just my wild ass guess.

There’s some gals and guys here that know all about properties of various types and formulations of fluids.

Some are quite adept at what is somewhat compatible with the Kubota-branded fluids.

Conversely, they know choices that are NOT good substitutes.

That said, I believe most suggest the Kubota fluids with the HST systems, with a couple exceptions.

Last edited: