2 questions - anti galling compound for SS and winch ??'s

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have some stainless steel hardware going on my tower project. What is the consensus for a good anti galling compound? I sure don't need much and generally wouldn't use SS.

I am considering putting a winch on the tractor but have a couple of questions that have no obvious answers, at least to me.
Power? Do you add a second battery? With the current draw of a 1-1/2 or 2 hp winch the alternator sure isn't going to keep up and that battery in my tractor isn't exactly large.

Where to mount? Permanent or removeable? Is it worthwhile to get a blank quick attach and leave it on there? Other suggestion, the 3 point perhaps?

Appreciate the feedback

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You need a battery that can keep up with the load. I would definitely get a second battery or at least a higher capacity deep cycle battery. If you are considering a blank quick attach and using the winch on the loader arms, you stand a very good chance of damaging your loader arms. Fabricating a removable mount on the tractor frame is your safest bet. If a removable frame mount is not possible, maybe a mount that can attach to your 3 point as long as you can keep the winch below the axle when using it. Absent all that, a permanent mount to the frame is the only other option I would consider.

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
As far as anti galling compound the answer is yes you should use it. I worked in a power generating station and the main bus connections used SS hardware and boy if the last tech didn't use the compound he was awarded with some very choice comments. If you never plan on taking the hardware apart no you don't need it.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thank you! I never considered a frame mount. I'll look to see what's involved there. Two batteries make sense - separated by diodes. The alternator can charge both but the 2nd will only power the winch.

Thanks!