1140 RTV Running rough, won't shut off, black smoke.

inthewoods54

Equipment
1140 RTV
Apr 7, 2023
WestCoast
Hello, we have a 2015 or 2016 1140 RTV and it has suddenly developed a major problem. About 450 hours on the machine overall and never abused. The engine sounds a bit rough compared to how it normally sounds. No power especially if on even a slight incline. Won't shut off via the key. And sometimes excessive black exhaust.

I checked the easy stuff like air filter and spark arrestor but nothing wrong there. The machine was actually serviced just 4 hours ago so all filters and fluids were replaced and the filters all look new so I believe the tech actually did the work. I can see a steady stream of fuel returning to the tank when the engine is running. Engine starts right up every time without hesitation.

Yesterday I was letting it idle after cleaning a small amount of soot from the spark arrestor and after a minute or two black smoke started to spew from the exhaust and turning the key would not shut off the engine so I had to stall it out by fully depressing the accelerator pedal.

I've done some internet sleuthing but come up empty-handed so far. My first inclination is to think there is an electrical problem with the shutoff solenoid circuit but that wouldn't seem to explain the loss of power/rough engine--unless the solenoid wasn't opening fully, maybe? The symptoms seem more like an injector or IP issue but most of my diesel experience is limited to my personal vehicle which is an old N/A 7.3 Navistar. Any tips, tricks, or diagnostic help would be appreciated as our local tractor service is still cleaning up from the floods we had out here in CA.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
Following in case this happens to mine. It does sound like a fuel problem, as in too much.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Whitetiger, what you posted didn't post completely.
Can you either convert the file you used to PDF and repost or send me a copy and I can add it to your post.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Whitetiger, what you posted didn't post completely.
Can you either convert the file you used to PDF and repost or send me a copy and I can add it to your post.
I guess I did not check what I had posted and my puter is a little slooooooooooow today. :whistle: