Tips and Tricks: Clean Zerk Fittings

Dontwannaflip

Equipment
2016 B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Dec 11, 2016
Kitsap,WA
I’m sure 99% of you guys will find this trivial, but sharing my OCD tendencies is like therapy.:)

I hate to think that dirt and grit will make its way into zerk fittings and their associated joints during greasing, so I wanted to find a way to protect them from collecting debris. I found that my local home supply store sells a variety pack of little rubber/vinyl caps that are meant for protecting the cut ends of wire shelving. (Find them in the shelving section, a couple bucks for a bag of them)

When I do the greasing, I take off all the caps first and replace them as I go. If I have any left, then I know I missed one. They press on just good enough that they don’t fall off easily. Although I suppose fittings that get brushed by grass or stout weeks would probably come off.

Oh, and of course the biggest aid is probably the little Lock-n-Lube coupler that I learned about a couple months ago in another post on this site.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Similar parts are available from Grainger. Various colors too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had to replace2 fittings on the deck last year, cost me 6 bucks at the stealer,, walking through TS and found the same fittings 3 bucks for 10, and caps too. I dont mind spending the money local but I sure hate getting raped

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I had a few plastic caps on some zerks. They all popped off over time. I just wipe the zerk down clean with a paper towel before I grease em to prevent pushing in any debris. I hear ya though. I get neurotic with keeping things 110%. Must be my German blood. ;)

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Do not forget it is a good idea to put 'caps' on hydraulic bleeder nipples too. When I bleed brakes/clutches or other systems, I always add a cap if there is none from the factory.