L4400 steering problems

CalSanders

Equipment
L4400
Mar 29, 2016
Clarks Hill
I have searched the forums, and haven't seen anything.

I have a 2007 L4400 with front end loader. It has around 360 hours on it. With hydrostatic steering
I'm having trouble with the steering not working. The steering wheel is really hard to turn. The loader works fine even with a load in it and the rear also works fine. It has no leaks that I can tell. The hydraulic fluid looks full.
Any help is appreciated thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are 4 basic components to that system.
Pump
Regulator
Steering controller
Steering cylinder

The Pump on that tractor is a 2 section pump, the section that runs the PS is not the same as the loader and three point.
So it's possible the pump is bad, crack the banjo fitting (in yellow) on the regulator output (part on top of the pump) that goes to the steering controller, if you get flow it's probably not the pump or the regulator.
Note: The other line that goes to it with the simple clamp is the return line, do not remove it for the test as it will suck air into the pump and make the test invalid.

Next if you have flow from the pump is to crack both fittings on the steering cylinder, with it running turn the steering wheel side to side, fluid should come out of one of each of the fitting when it's turned back and forth.

If you get fluid there it most likely has blow a seal in the ram and will need rebuilt, If not fluid flows then it most likely has a bad steering controller and will need rebuilt or replaced. ;)

Attachments

Last edited: