BX25 Cab - DIY

GetaLoadofThat

Equipment
BX25, Snowblower, DIY Cab, DIY Snow Plow
Mar 20, 2014
Torbay
So with 400 hrs and several winters on my BX25 I figure it was time to do a DIY cab. I've been on here for some time reading and looking at what others have done and while I do like to work with metal I don't currently have a welder so decided to follow another member (RAECOREP and his $300 Cab) and do a wood build. I used pine for the build as it's very easy to work with and somewhat forgiving. I used safety glass for the windows and made each of the doors and windows to be removed or opened. I'm hoping to keep this cab on all year long so I designed it with the backhoe in mind. The paint is a DIY truck bed liner paint sold at Crappy Tire, I used two coats. The orange is actually a rust paint and Kubota Orange sold at Home Hardware. The hinges I had to order online as I could not find them locally, these are lift off hinges and appear to work quite well. I did just install a heater (from Princess Auto) but I don't think I'll get to use it much this winter, it does produce a nice heat but until I get some of the under seat drafts closed up I won't be in a t-shirt! I've not attached to the BX just yet, I made allowances for it to attach to the ROPS but for now it's heavy enough to stay in place without and tie downs.

Enjoy the Pics (I'll add extra in next post) and please comment and let me know what you like and what you don't. I still have to install two window wipers but that could be a summer modification.

Thanks,

Attachments

Skip44

Equipment
Jeeps, L2900, FEL, tiller, brush hog,post hole drill, rock rake
Feb 19, 2014
Alexander, Maine
That cab looks real nice. Did you put a radio in it? Did you weigh the materials before you built the cab, I just wounder how much it weighs? Also where did you get the stencil for the lettering?

Skip

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So with 400 hrs and several winters on my BX25 I figure it was time to do a DIY cab. I've been on here for some time reading and looking at what others have done and while I do like to work with metal I don't currently have a welder so decided to follow another member (RAECOREP and his $300 Cab) and do a wood build. I used pine for the build as it's very easy to work with and somewhat forgiving. I used safety glass for the windows and made each of the doors and windows to be removed or opened. I'm hoping to keep this cab on all year long so I designed it with the backhoe in mind. The paint is a DIY truck bed liner paint sold at Crappy Tire, I used two coats. The orange is actually a rust paint and Kubota Orange sold at Home Hardware. The hinges I had to order online as I could not find them locally, these are lift off hinges and appear to work quite well. I did just install a heater (from Princess Auto) but I don't think I'll get to use it much this winter, it does produce a nice heat but until I get some of the under seat drafts closed up I won't be in a t-shirt! I've not attached to the BX just yet, I made allowances for it to attach to the ROPS but for now it's heavy enough to stay in place without and tie downs.

Enjoy the Pics (I'll add extra in next post) and please comment and let me know what you like and what you don't. I still have to install two window wipers but that could be a summer modification.

Thanks,

As a wood shop teacher for almost 30 years, I take my hat off to you !!! I am sure it will last a good while too !! You got to love the Kreg pocket system too! I hope you can find a good sealant, I know the paint will hold up, but another coat of something UV wise will do wonders to make it last. I am impressed however!!! Nice work.:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That is nice no doubt about it,, if you wouldn't mind sharing a little more on the construction of that this,, I like it

GetaLoadofThat

Equipment
BX25, Snowblower, DIY Cab, DIY Snow Plow
Mar 20, 2014
Torbay
Thanks everyone for the comments, I enjoy seeing folks enjoying my work! I've not installed a radio just yet but it's on my list. I need to close up the drafts in the fenders and under the seat then perhaps some weather stripping around the entire cab to try and keep as much sound out as possible.

The build went pretty well, took me three weekends and a few nights. As you can tell from the first few pics I simply started off with the piece across the hood and kept adding from there, piece by piece (I used 2", 3" 4" and 6" boards of pine). Where possible I tried not to add too much wood because I knew before it was finished I'd have places where extra strength was needed and I'd rather those pieces be useful in other ways and not just add strength. EVERY SINGLE join is glued (with PL Premium construction adhesive) and screwed, no nails! Where possible I used but joints but in the places where it make sense I used pocket holes which I'm very happy with. Due to the BX not being square you have to build out the front to match the width in the back so there's a few pieces added for this. For each of the glass locations I routed out a 1/4-1/2 section so there would be room for the clear silicone to hold it in place. I do plan on adding small strips of something along the glass edges just to be on the safe side. Clamps are your friend when trying to fit pieces together as I had to dry fit every piece before glueing.

The bump out in the back was a little harder because of the consideration for the backhoe and how much room I'd need. I turned the seat around and sat up there a few times but until the snow is gone and the backhoe is installed we won't know the full story, but I think it will be fine. The doors and windows I made from 2" pine and simply made picture frames with pocket holes. I used 1/4 plywood to face the doors and then cut out the "design" for the windows. The roof is 1/2 ply and is a full 4x4 sheet not cut at all. I tried to figure out a sliding window in the doors but decided it was more trouble then it was worth.

I used wood filler to fill in all the holes and only did a very light sanding before paint. The cab sits on the tractor now without any tie downs for the time being. In the back I cut out for the bolts and a metal bar that runs across which makes the cab fit perfect each time it's removed and re-installed. I did put one trim piece on the top just as a design touch. I didn't weigh the pieces but the glass is about 150lbs, and I'd say the wood (which I could easily lift before the glass) is another 60-75lbs, which if at 225 lbs is still way lighter then even a soft sided curtis cab.

The stencils were just a google search and I printed the images on paper, then transferred to some plastic I had kicking around. From there I just used a artist brush to paint on. The heater I simply plumbed into the coolant and wired the fan to a switch in the ceiling. Yesterday I installed storm door handles and door stop chain which will help a lot in the wind.

I took tons of pictures along the way so if anyone wants to see something specific just ask, I'm sure I have a picture. I also did a quick video that I put on youtube, it was done with my phone so excuse the poor quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6h61WdXlU8&feature=youtu.be

Thanks again folks

Attachments