Fuel Treatment

photonsforever

Equipment
L3800 with FEL
Mar 6, 2014
Stokes, NC, US
I use a L-3800 Kubota very regular through spring, summer, and fall. I don't use it as much during the winter. I treat with STA-BIL Diesel during the winter. They recommend using STA-BIL Diesel all year long. Any thought on that or other fuel treatments?

Thanks

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I am not knocking Sta-bil

I have just found this does more for me, for close to the same price...

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74

There are tons of threads around the internet about what are the best yada-yada there are a few really good threads on the Diesel Truck forums with real tests that I liked..
There are many products that Stabilize and reduce gelling but this adds a very good Lubricity package to the fuel also...

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Algae will grow in diesel fuel.
A treatment twice a year would be good. We do this in the spring and fall commercially. We didn't do this for 10 years and then all of a sudden it got out of hand clogging filters, lines, etc. It cost a little fortune to clean the 10,000 gallon tank and lines, replacing clogged pump filters weekly. So now a little preventative maintenance should go a long way. Kind of like shocking a swimming pool.

Any major brand should work, for ex:
BIO KLEEN® DIESEL FUEL BIOCIDE
from Power Service Diesel Additive

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I use a L-3800 Kubota very regular through spring, summer, and fall. I don't use it as much during the winter. I treat with STA-BIL Diesel during the winter. They recommend using STA-BIL Diesel all year long. Any thought on that or other fuel treatments?

Thanks
WELCOME to the forum and congrats on the ORANGE tractor. :)

As far as recommendations go there are always plenty to go around. I would say consider more the needs and usage needs of the machine.

The injectors need better lubrication than the fuel will provide, with today's pizz poor fuel standards, and more cetane than the pump will deliver. With these NEEDS combined with the algae conditions all can be remedied in one shot. The additives that are sold by injection component builders, like has been mentioned Stanadyne and others, are designed to boost cetane, lubricate injection components and prevent growth. I use this in ALL my diesels not just my tractor.

A word about Stabil........they don't manufacture ANY diesel components.

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Jusy my experience, but I used to use Power Service in my big trucks and my F-350. Then one day down in Sturgis Michigan the check engine light came on and my F-350 Powerstroke started running rough. Stopped at a dealer for a scan and they said 2 injectors dead and EGR valve seized. They couldn't fix it but told me I was safe to make the 8 hour trip home. I had a bottle of Howes so poured a good dose in. Drove for 10 minutes, it smoothed out and the cel went out.
I now put Howes in all my stuff, Kubota included.

R2JOHN

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Sep 8, 2012
Brentwood, NH.
I use Power Service Diesel Fuel Suppliment. Treat fresh 5 gallons as I need it.
Keep the tractor tank full(less condensation). Also change the fuel filter and clean fuel bowl every 4 months. (cheap insurance)
My Kubota is a 1987 B7200 with 425hrs. In 27 years I have never had a fuel problem or no start. It's a great tractor.

Regards,
John