Loader Pins

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
When Kubota says grease pins every 10 hrs, I would do it. They don't chrome plate the pins so its reg steel to steel. Not sure if loader was ever greased, but there is orange paint on the zerk's.

In any case, I have taken a torch to the pin and rod end, and its still not budging. It was glowing red where ever the torch was, and I'm starting to worry about the seal end on the rod. I'm hitting it with a 10 pound sledge back and forth, but next to no movement.

Thinking about removing the cylinder and mount so it can be laid on the ground. Looking for ideas of how the pin might be removed.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
A friend of mine had the exact same problem.....
Lots of penetrating oil.....
BFH and tapped one way till it moved just a bit....more oil, tapped the other - take zerk out and spraying into the hole.

It took 30 minutes ....right when I was ready to quit...it moved a 1/64 inch.

Once it moved ....then it was easy!

keep banging - but dont mushroom the head;) I used a socket over the pin

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Heating it "cherry red" was not something I'd recommend. It alters the heat treatment/hardness of the parts... and it swells the pin even tighter. Applying heat to the bushings...but NOT the pin and NOT the end of the cylinder would assist removal... and never to the point of "red".
There should have been a zerk beneath it that takes the grease.
Anyway, any damage is already done now...so penetrating oil and time and patience....

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
That's what I've been doing along with the ox/axe torch, and spent most of the day doing it. I'm tired so letting it sit over night and see about tomorrow

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it stuck on the cylinder or the frame or both?

One trick is to heat it up and quench it in motor oil that sometimes will pop the bond loose.

Another trick is to hack saw / sawzall / porta band, the pin on either side of the cylinder then you will have three shorter pins with a lot less resistance to get them out.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Its stuck on the cylinder, so much so that the keeper was snapped in two.

Have managed to get other pins out with how I just tried but so far with this one no good. Have used water and also oil

Figure the cylinder and bracket weight is probably 200 lb at least. Sure whish they made these chrome plated

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I had to do the same thing on my 9540 with all the pins on the front. I tried everything. Heat, penetrating oil, 10lb sledge. Nothing would break them loose. Ended up having to cut them in to with a recip saw and then have them pressed out. There was just enough play for the blade to go beside the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Worst case you cut the end off of the cylinder and have a new one made and weld it on, the more you beat on the end of the pin your likely to open up the ears on the bracket, the pin is seized in the cylinder end not the bracket.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
I had to do the same thing on my 9540 with all the pins on the front. I tried everything. Heat, penetrating oil, 10lb sledge. Nothing would break them loose. Ended up having to cut them in to with a recip saw and then have them pressed out. There was just enough play for the blade to go beside the cylinder.
Might do that. I asked the question on HEF and a guy mentiones that since the pins are mild steel (crap way to make pins) I could weld some large thread all on the end. Make a puller from it, pipe and washers. Then heat, beat , tighten and repeat.

My backhoe is next to the loader, so I can use it to remove the cylinder and bracket. Once removed I can get it into my shop with a press.

Kubota makes a nice tractor but junk loaders. I get this one out, might look into replacing all the pins with some better ones. Then again, I grease things so is probably a non-issue

cut the end off of the cylinder and have a new one made and weld it on
That would take some real doing. The pins are mild steel but not the cylinder. Could be cut off with a torch but then I would still need to remove the end.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I asked the question on HEF and a guy mentiones that since the pins are mild steel (crap way to make pins) I could weld some large thread all on the end. Make a puller from it, pipe and washers.

I drilled a hole all the way through one of mine and tried the pipe and all thread trick. Put an impact on it and the nuts were harder than the all thread and it stripped the threads before it moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
Then again, I grease things so is probably a non-issue

Yep, I been running Kubota & other brands for over 30 years, never stuck a pin.

grease is the answer.

You have the pin galled inside the cylinder.

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
The guy mentioned to not to over tighten the all thread. Its just used to keep the tension on it.

Have to go out of town for some siding, might try cutting both sides so I can have less to work with.

Crappy Kubots parts

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
Don't blame the parts or the parts design, it's the lack of lubrication that's to blame in this case!
Agree the lack of lube caused it to seize, but it seized because it was an unplated mild steel part. If it was a quality hardened steel, chrome plated pin like all other heavy equipment manufactures use, it would not have seize.

With mils steel, even if its greased regularly or even more so, the pin will wear out and not take that long.

Have not seen, but bet when I get the pin out, I will not find a bushing in the rod arm bore (another reason why it rusted together

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I'm no engineer and maybe a little slow but it seems to me Kubota is doing things right. Wouldn't one rather the pins be softer than the loader arm bushings so the less expensive part is the wear or sacrificial part?

Harder pins can't make up for poor maintenance. I have had chrome hitch pins rust and gall in place before.

Hope someone can set me straight.:)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Don’t know what tools you have available but since it’s already damaged could you take a ball joint press and run it on tight with an impact while heating it. Then keep heat and impact going if it starts to go? May have to cut that head off the one side that’s broke to get it through the end of the ball joint press.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it was a quality hardened steel, chrome plated pin like all other heavy equipment manufactures use, it would not have seize.
Fro65 nailed it on the head!

It is much cheaper and easier to replace the pins, than it is to replace the cylinder and or loader bracket bushings.
A part has to wear and I would rather it be the pins than the loader.

I've worked on plenty of equipment that has hardened pins and bushings and when that fails it's very costly to have to line bore, reinstall thicker bushings and still need new pins. :(

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Thanks Wolfman...thought maybe I was looking at things bass-ackwards.:D