Kubota D722

Spokerider

Feb 21, 2019
BC Canada
Guys,
I picked up a Kubota D722 engine.
Was used to run a reefer unit, but the truck was in an MVA and the starter motor went to another Kubota reefer in the fleet. My plan is to get it running and then decide what I want to build / mod to put it in. Garden Tractor? Rokon type trail bike? Dunno yet.....

It is missing the starer motor. I need to buy one. Yes, I can buy a Kubota recon unit from somewhere, no doubt, but I'm wondering if there is a starter motor from some ? import car ? that is known to fit / work? Slim chance prolly, but I have a few auto wreckers near me to scrounge.

Also, I'd be happy to hear any insight / thots on these engines please. Never owned or worked on one before. VW diesels, yes, but not a Kubota.

I'll need to do whatever maintenance is required to it, as well as purge the air from the pump / injectors, check / adjust timing, etc.

Hoping a few on here have played with these engines and have thots to share please.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know of a auto that uses that same starter, or at least not the final drive of the starter.

You can get ones off eBay for cheap enough.

That's a good solid engine, a ton of them were made.

I'll dig through my allotment of manuals and see if I have one on that engine.
If not I'll see if I have a tractor manual with that engine in it, it will be close enough to give you some great info.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
I just rebuilt one, and it was a lot of fun; not too difficult. I know the BX1800 uses that engine so if you can get a WSM for that tractor, it will have tons of helpful engine info for you. Good luck with it!

Spokerider

Feb 21, 2019
BC Canada
Thank you for your reply gents.
Wolfman, I would much appreciate a service manual for it, if you have one to punt my way please.
That is my next step, find a manual or a link to a pdf, and delve into it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubotabooks.com

Engines

SM-E2B Series

That should give you all the info you need. ;)