BX2200 front axle rumbling on 4x4

DougA

Equipment
BX2200, MMM, scraper blade, auger
Dec 18, 2011
St. George, ON
I've got an older BX2200 with a lot of hours and the front axle is vibrating, rumbling when it's on 4x4. I've been using it a lot with snow plowing this year and it's definitely getting worse. Fluids are good. Looking for a quick (if any) way to diagnose exactly what the problem and solution might be. How much time is involved in taking the front apart to check? Last time I took it to a dealer they really didn't want to do much other than sell me a new one. Thanks

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
There are a couple of u joints in the fwd propeller shaft. Have you checked those? If they are good, drop the shaft, raise the front end, spin the wheels and see what kind of noise you get.

DougA

Equipment
Dec 18, 2011
St. George, ON
Thanks, I'll try spinning the wheels and see. I know the u joints on the shaft are suspect. They turn fine by hand but the front end is also fine on low speed. It's anything above low speed with a load on it that becomes a problem. I'll look at the schematic and see what's inside the axle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tractor off, 4wd in neutral:
Jack up one tire at a time (keeping the other tire on the ground and not turning.and turn it back and forth watch for play in shaft and joints, also listen for any odd noise.
Do this for both sides

Put tractor in 4wd and repeat as above
Tire will only move a little, drive shaft will not spin but joints and couplings will flex.
Listen for any hard knock noise.
Do this for both sides

Lift both tires
Push and pull on the top and bottom of the wheel, checking for any slop.

Push and pull tires side to side checking for bad steering joints.

DougA

Equipment
Dec 18, 2011
St. George, ON
Tractor off, 4wd in neutral:
Jack up one tire at a time (keeping the other tire on the ground and not turning.and turn it back and forth watch for play in shaft and joints, also listen for any odd noise.
Do this for both sides

Put tractor in 4wd and repeat as above
Tire will only move a little, drive shaft will not spin but joints and couplings will flex.
Listen for any hard knock noise.
Do this for both sides
Correct
Lift both tires
Push and pull on the top and bottom of the wheel, checking for any slop.

Push and pull tires side to side checking for bad steering joints.
OK finally got a chance to go through this. When I put tractor in 4wd, I get exactly the same response as not in 4wd. I started the engine and made sure everything was correct, same result.
Anyway, it appears that the sloppiness is in the differential gear assembly. It could also be the u joints in the shaft but the gear assembly is very loose.

Thoughts? Didn't get a chance to check the pivot bolt yet. The ground is ice and water and not fun to get on your back to look.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
OK finally got a chance to go through this. When I put tractor in 4wd, I get exactly the same response as not in 4wd. I started the engine and made sure everything was correct, same result.
Anyway, it appears that the sloppiness is in the differential gear assembly. It could also be the u joints in the shaft but the gear assembly is very loose.

Thoughts? Didn't get a chance to check the pivot bolt yet. The ground is ice and water and not fun to get on your back to look.
If your getting the same rotations in 4wd as you do in 2wd, something's broken or stripped. :eek:

The drive shaft should not turn in 4wd. ;)