L3901 cutting out

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia
Hi all! I have a L3901 tractor that will start, but after a bit will cut out and not start again for a while. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? We are new to repairing an would appreciate any help! Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi all! I have a L3901 tractor that will start, but after a bit will cut out and not start again for a while. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? We are new to repairing an would appreciate any help! Thanks
How long does it run BEFORE it quits? And how does it quit? Sputter or off quick?

Need to know very specifics to rule out lots of things..... did this JUST happen or ...cold weather? or....

Have you rocked in the seat while trying to start? IF person is not in seat placing enough weight - it will cut off.

If fuel cap vent is restricted - it will run then slowly die.

In the cold climate that you are located ......could be gelling fuel, have you added any fuel conditioner to prevent gelling?

Have you changed the fuel filters lately? Have you ever bled the system?

Report back with very specifics of what is happening and how long it runs.;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Go to kubotabooks.com and download the wsm (aka Service manual).

You'll need to give us a little more to go on.

Do you start using the tractor then it dies?
Is it cold where your at?
How long have has this been going on, and did it just start doing it suddenly?
When was it's last fuel filter change?

Just about any and all info helps

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia
My son had been doing some snow plowing and he said when it warmed up it started running really rough, then it died. I just had it running now to see if the warmer weather would make a difference but it was only five minutes before it cut right out.

We did add fuel conditioner and that didnt help.

It was warming up with no one on the seat.

The system was bled, however my son wasnt able to get the filter off at the time, as it was on too tight. He will do that though.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia
Go to kubotabooks.com and download the wsm (aka Service manual).

You'll need to give us a little more to go on.

Do you start using the tractor then it dies?

Is it cold where your at?

How long have has this been going on, and did it just start doing it suddenly?

When was it's last fuel filter change?

Just about any and all info helps

The tractor starts fine.

The tractor only has 250hrs on it, its a 2016, i don't think the filters been changed yet.

It started just in the last week with the temps being around -20C Todays a balmy -12C

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My son had been doing some snow plowing and he said when it warmed up it started running really rough, then it died. I just had it running now to see if the warmer weather would make a difference but it was only five minutes before it cut right out.

We did add fuel conditioner and that didnt help.

It was warming up with no one on the seat.

The system was bled, however my son wasnt able to get the filter off at the time, as it was on too tight. He will do that though.

Thanks for any help!

Based on what you are saying....

you have fuel issues or cap issues - take cap off and see if it run longer is an easy check.

Might need to get that filter off and start over with the bleeding;)

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia
Based on what you are saying....

you have fuel issues or cap issues - take cap off and see if it run longer is an easy check.

Might need to get that filter off and start over with the bleeding;)

Ok thank you! Will do that!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The tractor starts fine.

The tractor only has 250hrs on it, its a 2016, i don't think the filters been changed yet.

It started just in the last week with the temps being around -20C Todays a balmy -12C

Water in the filter / separator and / or just plain contamination!
You can't go 4 years between fuel filter changes! :eek:

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia

Yeah, we have just taken over caring for the tractor and are realizing it hasnt been cared for as well as we thought it had been[emoji51]

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
My L3901 manual says 400 hours for the fuel filter. Unless his fuel was super dirty he should be fine with 250 hrs I would think.

Of course, the fact that it won't stay running might suggest otherwise.:rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My L3901 manual says 400 hours for the fuel filter. Unless his fuel was super dirty he should be fine with 250 hrs I would think.

Of course, the fact that it won't stay running might suggest otherwise.:rolleyes:
The age of it says more than the hours in this case, it sounds like it's been sitting a lot of its life, water / condensation and algae and other crud love a tractor that sits! ;)

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia
Hello, so we changed the fuel filter, tarped the tractor and put heat under it to try an thaw anything that would be frozen. We also put in some gas line anti-freeze. I took it for a run and thought all was well but once i put the rpm up to the pto level, it stalled an would not start for 1-2 min. Its not as abrupt as i had thought, it dies out, fast but not instant. Any other ideas of whats up? Thanks

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Remove the fuel cap and see if it still does it. Sounds like you're starving for fuel, If the fuel vent is clogged it will pull a vacuum on the tank and starve that way.

Mine did something very similar, I would up disconnecting the fuel line where it enters the separator and blew air back through it..... Mine had a leaf in the fuel tank that was restricting the fuel to the filter.

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia
Remove the fuel cap and see if it still does it. Sounds like you're starving for fuel, If the fuel vent is clogged it will pull a vacuum on the tank and starve that way.

Mine did something very similar, I would up disconnecting the fuel line where it enters the separator and blew air back through it..... Mine had a leaf in the fuel tank that was restricting the fuel to the filter.

Okay thanks! Will give that a try next!!

monkey

Equipment
L3901
Feb 13, 2019
Kaministiquia
Okay thanks! Will give that a try next!!

Hello! I tried it with the gas cap off and it still stalled. Its a warmer day today and I had heat under it still, and if anything it was actually worse. It did smoke for a little bit before stalling. Any other ideas before calling a mechanic? My son wants to take off the fuel pump, is that a good idea??

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
My son wants to take off the fuel pump, is that a good idea??
Do you have a Kubota dealership that will work with you to talk you through troubleshooting?

If not I would suggest waiting until you talk with someone here to guide you along before just tearing into it. It will no doubt make it easier for you and the person helping you.

Unless you want to get a crash course and learn way more than you bargained for. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Messing with the fuel supply ln a 3901 is a bad idea if you don't know what you are doing. There are 3 fuel pumps to start with. Second that part of the tractor is or should be still under warranty. Third some of those parts are really expensive. I think someone in another thread mentioned $2700 for the high pressure pump. Get the WSM and also you can look at a parts diagram on the Kubota website. I'll add a link to that other thread if I can find it. He put a nice diagram in.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39624

Look at post 11.

These tractors hate dirty fuel.

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Hello! I tried it with the gas cap off and it still stalled. Its a warmer day today and I had heat under it still, and if anything it was actually worse. It did smoke for a little bit before stalling. Any other ideas before calling a mechanic? My son wants to take off the fuel pump, is that a good idea??
You have a lot to check before messing with the fuel pumps.
NIW mentioned the water separator... has this been checked for water contamination?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DO NOT remove any fuel pumps!

All you will accomplish taking them out is damage it further.

We also put in some gas line anti-freeze.
I worry if you used the right product with statements like this. :eek:

Get a bucket, open the fuel filter housing dump all the fuel.

Go get some fresh #2 diesel, do not add anything to it.
Put on a new fuel filter, follow the WSM and bleed the entire system.
Then try running it, report back what you have happen.