Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Implements & Attachments

Implements & Attachments Find everything related to operating, servicing and maintaining that loader, mower, blade, snow blower, tiller, hitch or scraper, right here.

Old 03-26-2013   #1
Burt
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Default T-Posts...driving in with a bucket?

HI!

Do any of you have any experience driving in T-posts using the tractor bucket? I watched a guy use a Bobcat and bend some up.

Our tractor is an L3700SU (L3800). We need to put up some new fence and thought it might be a good question to ask. I'll be using 8 foot T-posts at 1.33 weight.

Burt
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2013   #2
hodge

Master Tech

Equipment: John Deere 790
Default Re: T-Posts...driving in with a bucket?

I've never tried that, but I would be skeptical. Pushing is different than driving, and unless you have a way to keep the post in position under the bucket, like a piece of pipe fixed or welded to the bottom to capture the post top, then it is going to be an accident waiting to happen. How many do you have to put in? Driving them by hand is hard labor, but far from impossible, safer, and it builds muscle/character.
There is also a pneumatic driver available-
http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...ic+post+driver
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #3
Burt
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.

Hodge:

I need to put in about 25 of them. My neighbor has a hand thumper that looks like the hydraulic one. Obviously, it's a lot of work.

I thought I could start them with that maybe and then thump it with the loader. It doesn't sound like a good idea now.

Thanks,

Burt
Old 03-26-2013   #4
hodge

Master Tech

Equipment: John Deere 790

25 posts isn't bad, but that depends a lot on your soil type.
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #5
skeets
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: BX 2360

If ya have some bodies and a case or 6 or adult beverages,, maybe think of a hunk of pipe 3 feet long with a solid cap welded on top and a couple handles welded to the bottom( Heavy walled steel pipe and a plate of maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch welded in place, there is a lot of stress on the cap),,, and 2 strong young men can drive a post in pretty quickly even in this yellow clay and slate filled ground around here
skeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #6
Kingcreek
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories

25 posts isnt a lot with a handheld post driver. You could start them with a driver and push them with the bucket if you wanted to. I've pushed pointed cedar posts with a JD wheel loader and a bucket of rock or dirt but you've got to have somebody holding the post straight and brave enough or dumb enough to have thier arms under a big heavy bucket. I've done it, didn't say I recommend it.
Depending on soil, most T posts can be driven to depth with 10 strikes or less with a post driver. Don't make it any harder than it is.
Kingcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #7
Bulldog
VIP Service Tech

Equipment: M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT

A good hand held driver will driver t-post in most soil with ease. 25 post will be a nice little warm up but not that bad. I've started adding some new hot wire in one of my pastures, drove 14 posts the other day by myself. As long as you have a post driver it's no big deal. All you're going to do trying to drive them with a loader bucket is bend the posts, tear something up or hurt somebody. If you don't have a driver go get one. Between $30 and $40 dollars for a basic model and it will be money well spent. Keep it put up in the dry when not in use and you'll never have to buy another one. If you have a welder and some pipe just build your own, I did and it's been just fine.
Old 03-27-2013   #8
Burt
3rd Yr. Apprentice

OK, I'll give in to the hand driver. Neighbor here will loan me his. Our soil is "unpredictable." Some is rocky, some is soil. It runs in streaks. It will be a good workout. Thanks for all the advice and comments. I think it runs a little bit too far to the questionable safety side to drive them with a bucket.

Burt
Old 03-27-2013   #9
Wojo

Equipment: BX1860, 54" MMM, 48" FEL

I stumbled across this link. I can't vouch for it, but it looks interesting.

http://www.bucketdriver.com/
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #10
1Dragon
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L2900

I agree with you WOJO it does look interesting so I whipped one up from scrap today. I will test it and report back.
1Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attachments, bucket, operating, question, t-posts