Fast transmission Flushing

figjam

Equipment
b8200
Nov 11, 2009
Ocala,fl
I have an B8200 with a standard, somehow water got in, I think through the gear lever boot. After going through two drums of oil and two drain and refills with no noticeable difference I realized that the hydraulic pump and hydraulics were obviously still contaminated. Even buying cheapo Tractor Supply tran/hyd oil at 35 bucks per I didn't want to run too many more through. So I got my next drum, 3 pieces of 3/4inch pvc pipe and a couple of elbows.

I removed the oil intake pipe, the pvc pipe fitted perfectly into the rubber connector, and put the pvc pipe directly into the next 5 gal oil drum then started her up. Of course I a had a bucket under the drain.

It took about 4 gallons of oil before it started to clean up so I can't imagine how many gallons I would have used just draining and refilling and it sucked it all through in about a minute!

Hope this helps someone!

:)

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yep very efficient idea but I hope you shut her down before the stand pipe sucked air or you cavitated the pump. :rolleyes: That's why the hydraulic designers alway mount the reservoir above or level with case drain. Now we know a Gator did bite the suction screen. :D Welcome to the Forum ;)

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Thank you to this post. I just did the same thing but I used a hose and a large funnel. Worked great and seems to of solved my milky fluid problem.

mtnsheep

Oct 10, 2010
Gainesville, GA,
cool idea. I've noticed while running my b1750 geared 2wd, it have a little frothy trans. fluid on my trans. dip stick. Does this mean I've got a little water in the fluid? It's not much. i keep tractor in barn always unless in use.
thanks.

mud from mo

Equipment
b8200
Dec 17, 2010
New Melle MO
You are a genius. I have already changed my fluid about 4 times in the past year tring to dewater. I also think it came in through the gear shift boot. I park it inside now. Thanks for the help.
Mud

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Dragging up an old post...

My L185 has the milky/peanut butter transmission oil problem similar to what is described here...

I was curious on this technique since there would be air in the pipe (assuming that it was not filled/primed somehow). How would the pump suck the oil out of the bucket if the bucket is below the pump and there is air in the pipe?

I can see it working if the bucket is above feeding into the inlet (through a funnel sort of).

What are y'alls opinions of how to flush the pump easily using a sacrificial 5 gallons of oil? How to avoid cavitation/losing prime of the pump?

Or is it nothing to worry about?

Justacafe

Equipment
L4310
Apr 5, 2014
Madison, wi
I have an B8200 with a standard, somehow water got in, I think through the gear lever boot. After going through two drums of oil and two drain and refills with no noticeable difference I realized that the hydraulic pump and hydraulics were obviously still contaminated. Even buying cheapo Tractor Supply tran/hyd oil at 35 bucks per I didn't want to run too many more through. So I got my next drum, 3 pieces of 3/4inch pvc pipe and a couple of elbows.

I removed the oil intake pipe, the pvc pipe fitted perfectly into the rubber connector, and put the pvc pipe directly into the next 5 gal oil drum then started her up. Of course I a had a bucket under the drain.

It took about 4 gallons of oil before it started to clean up so I can't imagine how many gallons I would have used just draining and refilling and it sucked it all through in about a minute!

Hope this helps someone!

:)
Great idea! How can I use this on a L4310?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In general -
Locate where your pump is. They are generally on the right side of tractor (when you are sitting on tractor), and at the rear of the engine.

On yours, I believe you will see the filter for the hydraulic system and there will be a tube running toward the pump. Between the tube and pump will be a short section of hose.

You would be connecting into something that goes into the pump.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
figjam,, I assume you were working the 3ph and fel while you were flushing?? Helps to get that fluid out of the cylinders too. Good idea, I have a 3ph backhoe that I need to do that to. Thanks for shareing.
Russell, allmost all pumps will create a suction with air. Some will lift from inches, some from many feet.

pbraig

Equipment
L245DTL1200 FEL, 54" Meteor Snowblower, Frontier BB2048L Box Blade
Feb 21, 2014
Groton,VT USA
Love the idea! I also have the same problem on a L245dt. Does anyone know if this will flush the trans and diff? Also not looking at many drain and fills at 35 bucks a pail!