PTO Oil Seal Blow-Outs!

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
I did a brief search and could not find anything related. I have a 2007 M 6040, with just over 1000 hours.....bought used. I love the little tractor, but.....have an issue. I haven't used the PTO a great deal, but, when used for a long period of time, example: using the rotary cutter for an extended time period....the PTO seal will come out. I bought a new seal, cleaned the seal bore thoroughly, applied some GM Black RTV to seal outer metal sleeve, and drove the new, rtv'd seal, into place. First run of extended time.....the seal came out again. :mad: :confused:

There is little to no radial play in the PTO output shaft, and the gearbox vent is "NOT" plugged! Any and all adult supervision would be much appreciated! :D. Thanks in advance for any and all help! memtb

Last edited by a moderator:

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
Also......what the heck is up with the **** and numbers added to my post. They appeared after my edit.....and I can’t get rid of them! memtb

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Sounds like you are installing it correctly. NAPA carries a seal "adhesive" and I can't remember the name of it. I believe it's the Loctite brand. Ask the parts guy there and he will know. It's similar to blue threadlock. In other words, you can remove it when you need to replace it. I know they carry it at the local stores because this is a big farming area and I've been in the store when people ask for it.

Here's what I'm talking about:

https://www.jegs.com/p/Loctite/LOCTITE-Bearing-Mount/2342113/10002/-1

You don't have to buy from JEG's. NAPA and other parts stores should carry it.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I agree with the use of the Loctite product but also suggest a conversation with a Kubota dealer.

Their computer system provides them with access to model problem history and you may find that there has been a bulletin or part change because others were having the same problem. The parts guy likely would not know in my experience.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The odd numbers and symbols are a result of a Software glitch in the code some devices use, like Apple products, no real fix for it, as it changes the " to ****8883 and ' to ***8588 or thereabouts.

It might also be the computer software getting confused at you KABOTA and M60-40 both at not normal.
Try Kubota and M6040. :p :D

No onto your real issue:
RTV is not the best use for a PTO seal as vibrations can quickly break the silicone bond.
I would try loctite on a new seal.
But I suspect your real issue might be excessive heat or small vibrations from a failing bearing.
Put a seal in it and run the pto and check it with a heat sensor gun. ;)

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
North Idaho Wolfman, Thanks! I think I’ve corrected the Kabota M60-40 issue! If the seal were that easy......I’d be real happy! ;)

And, a thanks to all! I’ll make a call to Kabota....uh, I mean Kubota! :D Will install another seal with Loctite, and will monitor the PTO temperatures! If all of that fails.....”Necessity is the Mother of Invention”! memtb

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
North Idaho Wolfman, Thanks! I think I’ve corrected the Kabota M60-40 issue! If the seal were that easy......I’d be real happy! ;)

And, a thanks to all! I’ll make a call to Kabota....uh, I mean Kubota! :D Will install another seal with Loctite, and will monitor the PTO temperatures! If all of that fails.....”Necessity is the Mother of Invention”! memtb
Yea let us know what you discover. ;)

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
It may be a while, “I’m up to my butt in alligators....and can’t drain the swamp”! :eek: But, when I learn something, I’ll update! Thanks again to all! memtb

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Pretty easy to remove the whole PTO assembly and check both the inboard and outboard bearings for excessive play. It does entail draining the fluid and removing the capsscrews and working the back case free of the sealant but it takes maybe 20 minutes to get it off.

The torque value for the capscrews are 70 foot pounds dry btw. I just switched my 540 to a 540 /1000 pto. Whole thing including fluid drain and refill and 2 new suction filters was about 2 1/2 hours.

You will need a tube of 3 Bond and have to clean the mating surfaces but it's really an easy job to remove it and replace it.

What I don't understand is why the seal 'blows out'. There should be no internal pressure in the case at all. I would presume you (like me) have a breather a top the transmission. Wonder of your breather hose is clogged.

Last edited:

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
Sidecarflip, That was the first thing I checked! But, I haven’t yet checked to make sure the the vent is “tapped” all the way into the case. Very unlikely that that is the problem, but......stranger things have happened! Also, yesterday while working other projects, as I was walking past the tractor....I attempted to check for “axial” play in the PTO shaft, and couldn’t detect “any” play!

Having a cab makes it a little difficult to access the case vent, but will attempt to verify that it is open into the case! memtb

cash

Oct 1, 2018
Pittsburgh
I did a brief search and could not find anything related. I have a 2007 M 6040, with just over 1000 hours.....bought used. I love the little tractor, but.....have an issue. I haven't used the PTO a great deal, but, when used for a long period of time, example: using the rotary cutter for an extended time period....the PTO seal will come out. I bought a new seal, cleaned the seal bore thoroughly, applied some GM Black RTV to seal outer metal sleeve, and drove the new, rtv'd seal, into place. First run of extended time.....the seal came out again. :mad: :confused:

There is little to no radial play in the PTO output shaft, and the gearbox vent is "NOT" plugged! Any and all adult supervision would be much appreciated! :D. Thanks in advance for any and all help! memtb
I had a 1994 White GT-1855 with an 18HP Briggs Vanguard engine and the rear seal kept popping out. Talked to a local guy and he said if a new seal doesn't fix it, put a bead of silicon around it and it will hold it in place. That was over 6 years ago I believe until I traded it in on a 1025r in January 2019.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sidecarflip, That was the first thing I checked! But, I haven’t yet checked to make sure the the vent is “tapped” all the way into the case. Very unlikely that that is the problem, but......stranger things have happened! Also, yesterday while working other projects, as I was walking past the tractor....I attempted to check for “axial” play in the PTO shaft, and couldn’t detect “any” play!

Having a cab makes it a little difficult to access the case vent, but will attempt to verify that it is open into the case! memtb
My M9 has a hose that goes on a fitting in the top of the case and you can reach in there and remove it if you have small hands.

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
OK guys......first a sincere apology, for ***8220;not***8221; getting back to the subject. I fixed (I hope) the problem last fall! After proving that the vent was not plugged, I tried ***8220;black***8221; silicon designed for differential pan/cover gaskets, etc. The seal ***8220;blew-out***8221; again. I thoroughly cleaned the seal bore and the seal outer surface with a degreaser, applied ***8220;red***8221; Locktite to the seal and drove it back in. I gave it a couple of days to be certain of it***8217;s curing. Many hours of PTO use, she***8217;s still there! I may have to ***8220;cut the tractor away from the seal***8221; ***55357;***56833; to remove it......we***8217;ll cross that bridge, when we get there!

I still do not understand ***8220;why***8221; the seal kept coming out....but, at least for now, this problem is history! :) memtb

memtb

Equipment
Kubota M6040
Jun 6, 2017
Winchester, Wyoming
Also......what the heck is with all of the numbers, asterisks, etc. replacing quotation marks, emoji’s, etc. It makes a post pretty difficult to read! memtb

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Also......what the heck is with all of the numbers, asterisks, etc. replacing quotation marks, emoji’s, etc. It makes a post pretty difficult to read! memtb
When editing one’s own post any punctuation marks become those stoopid series of asterisks-and-numbers. It’s a software thing with this forum, I think.

Possible solution:
I have sometimes posted a msg and immediately when it posts...I see an error or typo I’ve made that I wish to correct... I sometimes simply hit the “back” < and repost it correctly, and then delete my first attempt ...just to avoid all that garbage.